Common is the nation’s leading residential brand and operating platform that designs, leases, and manages multifamily properties that appeal to today's renters. Through smart design and tech-enabled property management, Common delivers exceptional experiences to thousands of residents in coliving, microunit, and traditional apartments in cities from coast to coast. Founded in October 2015, we are the preferred choice for renters looking for a stress-free apartment from a trusted brand, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns.
We challenge ourselves every day not just to think about ways to make city living better, but to activate those ideas in meaningful ways. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, member service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-startership, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well. Common sits squarely at the intersection between technology and real estate, working every day to build quality residential solutions that bring positive change to the world’s rental housing crisis.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. With over 17,500 units signed and under development and over $110 million in global venture capital investment, Common is expanding its reliable, renter-first property operations to 26 cities across the world.
To follow the latest Common news, get to know our community of residents, and learn about what it’s like to work at Common, you can follow us on Instagram, Linkedin, and Twitter. To see more open roles and hear from Common employees check out our Careers Page.
About the Role
Ideally based in NYC, the Vice President, People Operations will act as a key member of the executive team and oversee the overall strategic direction of the People function at Common. Reporting directly to Common’s Founder & CEO, you will be responsible for building and leading the business through its next phase of rapid growth by ensuring all onboarding, training and development, compensation analysis, benefits, organizational engagement, and culture initiatives scale. You will be responsible for oversight and management of the People Ops, Talent, Office Ops, and Information Technology teams. And you are a strategic leader who has a passion for building world-class teams while facilitating environments that allow employees to do their best work.
- Serve as a member of the executive team by leading the efforts around long-term people planning to fuel the growth of the business.
- Build strong, trusting relationships with leaders by helping them think through their most challenging people problems — from org design and evolution to performance management to individual coaching
- Partner directly with the executive team and department heads to develop and meet organizational objectives and OKRs.
- Be the driving force behind Common’s culture and develop creative solutions to amplify employee engagement, DEI efforts, and overall company morale with the goal of making Common an employer of choice in the marketplace.
- Design, implement and optimize systems and processes to support all People Operations objectives while communicating, delivering, and refining all initiatives as they relate to business needs.
- Diagnose and put in place initiatives that will drive retention and engagement.
- Own employee relations and compliance, and ensure Common is up to date on best practices and employment law.
- Lead your team to refine and streamline employee lifecycle processes (e.g., onboarding, termination, performance management, etc).
- Other ad-hoc duties and projects from time to time and based on business needs.
Will this person travel? Yes
If so, how often? 25%
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Who you are:
- You have 10+ years’ of People experience working in a high-growth or very dynamic organization
- You have extensive experience working with distributed non-exempt employee populations
- You thrive in a forward-thinking and fast-paced team environment.
- You have a passion for all things people, and fundamentally understand that talent is a true competitive advantage.
- You drive vision and purpose, painting a compelling vision and strategy that motivates others to action.
- You have a track record of articulating the future in a way that people relate to while crafting org-wide energy and optimism for the future.
- You are passionate about achieving the highest levels of performance through people.
- You communicate challenges and have the ability to influence a variety of stakeholders effectively through sound and well-reasoned arguments and have a tested toolbox of strategies to persuade people resulting in agreement or behavior change.
- You get energized by developing and implementing scalable solutions aligned to strategies that support the organization's effectiveness.
- You have an innate ability to simplify complex problems, processes, or projects into component parts, exploring and evaluating them systematically.
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as:
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- FSA + HSA options
- Company-paid life insurance
- Company-paid STD/LTD
- Paid parental leave
- 401k plans
Additional benefits such as equity, paid holidays, commuter transit benefits, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees' needs are being met.
Common is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.