VP, People (HR) at Narrativ
Narrativ is a subscription technology platform for brands to acquire new customers through trust-based marketing. We built an ad-free alternative to the e-commerce growth marketing playbook by building the commerce and payments infrastructure for the creator economy.
Brands know consumers are tired of being inundated with ads that only tell one side of the story - yet the marketing playbook hasn’t evolved. Unlike search engine marketing or social marketing, trust-based marketing is honest and unbiased, balanced with both pros and cons, and comes from diverse voices that speak with integrity and specificity. Creators are at the center of consumer trust today.
Narrativ’s technology gives all brands and creators - not just the top 1% - the tools to win in the $50 billion creator economy by building trust with consumers, not selling ads. We’ve been recognized as a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer and one of Fast Company World’s Most Innovative Companies alongside giants like Google, Microsoft, and Slack.
Do you share our vision for decentralizing the institutions that control the Internet today? Come join our team.
Why you should work here:
- We’re growing fast, without constantly diluting your equity: Narrativ is growing 3-4X year over year (yep, you read that right). Hundreds of brands joined Narrativ’s platform in the last year, from enterprises like Best Buy, Sephora, and Samsung, to rising brands like Yeti, Cariuma, and Peace Out Skincare.
- Massive TAM, unique approach: We’re tackling the creator economy and e-commerce, a $50-150 billion market. Narrativ’s unique approach is that we believe technology is not neutral – its values are encoded by its creators. We value integrity, specificity, and diversity (not just scale at all costs).
- Join a strong, diverse team: We’re more than doubling in size and growing to a team of 130 by the end of the year. Narrativ is committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – more than 50% of our leadership team are women. We’ve taken the 15% pledge both in our talent strategy and across creators on our platform. We’re amplifying our diverse team’s support of communities of color by matching 200% of all individual donations as a company.
- Last, but very important, we are a startup: We’re looking for people who aren’t afraid to wield the chaos that comes with true creation, explore ambiguity, set the bar for excellence, and have full ownership over their impact. You’ll never be a cog in a machine here, but you won’t have the established blueprints of being one either. If all this sounds exciting to you, come join us.
Narrativ is looking for a Vice President of People to oversee the growth of our talent and HR operations as we more than double in size. This role is part of Narrativ’s leadership team.
You are a proven leader, able to drive strategy and tactics, while continuing to grow a workplace and its still developing culture. You will bring to this role an exceptional track record of successful organizational development, a proven commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, the ability to thrive in a high volume, fast-paced and team-oriented environment, and above all an embodiment of trust and integrity.Your outcomes in the first 1-2 years:
- Employee lifecycle
- We have a robust recruiting team and processes that onboards top tier talent while keeping up with our ambitious growth.
- We have finalized a performance management system that magnifies excellence and finds the right fit for every employee.
- We have a robust L&D suite, from exec coaching, manager training, and leadership resources for the whole team.
- We have high morale and engagement, and a system (surveys, etc.) to track, learn and respond.
- We have designed a remote culture that works for us, finding balance between flexibility and connectivity.
- As we grow, we will continue to be compliant with employment laws and regulations at the federal, state, and local levels.
- We have a multi-year diversity and inclusion plan that develops a true sense of belonging for all people, from an audit, to YoY benchmarks, to an action plan
- Our organization runs with efficacy and transparency
- You are able to provide high-quality, ad-hoc facilitation for tough situations that inevitably arise in any organization
- Total rewards
- We have finalized our compensation schema, including leveling, fair and competitive salary bands and bonus structures, and transparency.
- We have updated our benefits to be competitive and compelling (healthcare, wellness, 401k, etc.)
- Team building
- You are hiring a People team that grows with the company
- You are creating growth opportunities for your direct reports via coaching and mentoring
- EQ and people judgment: To handle sensitive situations with empathy, grace, and confidence
- Structured thinking and communication: To identify and break down complex issues so that the rest of the exec team can drive decisions around recruiting and HR.
- Executive communications: Excellent writer and public speaker, in particular thoughtful about what context and tone.
- Manager (accountability): Knows how to manage a team, setting and enforcing a high bar.
- Manager (culture): Knows how to build a healthy team culture in a fast-paced environment.
- Backbone: Has a backbone, willing to enforce values and denounce bad behaviors even of “high-performing” staff.
- Adaptability: Open minded and adaptable, to handle a constantly changing startup environment. Outcomes, not checklists.
- D&I: Brings depth and authenticity to our D&I efforts. We’re interested in going beyond unconscious bias training.
Important Notice: Narrativ will be going fully remote in 2021 and anticipate being a fully remote organization moving forward!
Narrativ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.