VP of People
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about aligning people with purpose to drive employee satisfaction, engagement and performance.
At DigitalOcean, we know that employee engagement, satisfaction, and development are primary drivers of company performance and retention. We are seeking a Vice President of People to architect, build and deliver the next generation of people strategies. The role includes conceiving and executing on new programs and shepherding existing programs and tactics that enable greater engagement and satisfaction as we continue to scale. In addition, our VP will lead all aspects of the employee journey from the first day onward, and further our values-based culture, driving a relentless focus on talent to make DigitalOcean one of the best places to work.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, the VP of People will own employee experience and engagement, learning + talent development, talent management, performance success, as well as the company’s people business partner function. This person will partner with and lead a talented and highly engaged team to deliver meaningful people programs, policies, and practices that fuel our business growth. We are a passionate group of nearly 600 employees, with a heavily remote workforce as well as offices in NYC, Cambridge, Palo Alto, and Bangalore, India.
Successful candidates will have honed their expertise through their past leadership of people teams and/or people business partner functions at rapid growth companies where revenue and headcount scaled rapidly, from several hundred to 1000s of employees.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Building strategic and collaborative people business partnerships across all levels of the organization that will enable our people and business to thrive as we scale.
- Providing thought leadership and direction in every part of the employee lifecycle at DO including talent, organizational design, change management, and cutting-edge employee engagement practices.
- Leading, inspiring and supporting our people business partners who work hand in hand with all teams at DO to enable engagement and development.
- Helping evolve our culture and values in ways that drive accountability and result in happy, engaged high performing individuals and teams.
- Fine-tuning existing people programs and conceiving new ones that bolster the effectiveness of new hire onboarding, departmental onboarding, easing assimilation and fostering an environment of inclusivity, open and clear communication, and teamwork.
- Partnering and collaborating with CPO, People Operations and Talent Acquisition teams on people strategy development, integrated talent practices, effective budget and resource management and seamless people operations. .
- Supporting the development of best in class individual, team and organizational development through varied L&D, clear career pathing, and talent management programs; create plans to identify and close talent gaps in competency, knowledge, and skills for the future.
- Overseeing the development of programs and tools to drive integrated goal planning, performance management, talent management, and succession planning methods and processes.
- Ensuring consistent and data-driven people management practices and adherence to company standards and compliance state, federal and local laws.
- Supporting and coaching the organization’s leaders by providing a thoughtful, data-driven approach to the organization’s opportunities and challenges.
- Expertise and a track record of success in leading growing organizations through the change and shifts required to elevate and optimize all people programs at high growth companies.
- A thoughtful change management practice and approach - to support the organization's adoption and absorption of much-needed practices, policies and programs align our people with purpose and drive performance and positive employee engagement.
- Expertise in designing and implementing simple and effective performance management methods and systems that drive growth, and accountability and performance
- Balance of strategic and tactical experience - strong skills in strategy development, planning and effective, measurable implementation, a DO simple approach to solutions.
- Ability to build relationships and establish credibility throughout an organization as an effective coach and problem-solver of people issues
- A love of learning and approaching all matters with an eye for continuous improvement
- An affinity and understanding of tech start-up culture and a process to help DO and it’s employees handle the natural evolution of our culture and values.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commuting allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses-paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
Want to learn more about our People team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!