Cloud Storage Engineering Intern at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want an intern who is passionate about creating products that you and your peers would love.
Storage Engineering at DigitalOcean is welcoming an intern this summer who is interested in growing their skillset and familiarity with object storage, test development, automation, and the S3 API. S3 is the defacto standard for interacting with objects over HTTP. DigitalOcean’s Spaces product is one such implementation and is based on Ceph Rados Gateway (RGW), the leading open-source distributed object storage system.
With the support of your mentor, and fellow team members, you’ll get hands-on experience creating real-world solutions for customers and engineering alike. This project focuses on known gaps in api testing and code coverage for the open-source Ceph RGW software. You’ll learn how to engage with an open-source codebase, be guided through the complexities of Ceph and S3, and unify two disparate testing tools to create machine-consumable inputs into supported features.What You’ll Do:
- Learn how to build and test Ceph and Ceph RGW
- Learn how to work with the s3-test and code coverage environments
- Identify gaps in coverage and propose and/or implement solutions
- Develop machine-readable S3 feature reports
- You should come with the ability to read and write some code in C++ and be open to working with both limited python and shell scripting
- Prior to starting, you’ll want to familiarize yourself with a basic understanding of the concepts of “Code Coverage” and “Unit Testing” to help accelerate your growth curve with your mentor. Prior experience with either of these is not required.
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to be an intern here, and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note, our intern program will be held remotely this summer.