Grubhub’s Reconnect Returnship Program is a 16- week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to the individuals who have at least five years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
At Grubhub, we are excited to launch our Reconnect Returnship Program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other individuals transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This program is 100% virtual during the 16-week returnship program. Upon successful completion of the returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment.A full time offer will likely be based out of New York and a full-time opportunity will offer relocation package.
Got a taste for something new?
Grubhub is dedicated to connecting hungry diners with our wide network of restaurants across the country. Our innovative technology, easy-to-use platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities make us an industry leader today, and in the future of online food ordering.
We strive to create a workplace that reflects the diversity of our customers and the communities we serve. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, take risks, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
We have a fast-paced environment and that is what our teams thrive on. Grubhub believes in empowering people and offering opportunities for development, as well as professional growth. We value strong, positive relationships in all areas: with each other, our customers and our greater community. Want to be a part of a team of diverse collaborators in an authentically fun culture? If so, we want to talk to you - and hear what’s your favorite restaurant for food delivery!
About the team
Data Engineers at Grubhub are responsible for building efficient data pipelines that transform raw data into a format usable by downstream applications that serve both analytical and operational use cases. As a Data Engineer on the Commerce Platform will be working closely with business stakeholders, product managers and engineering teams to meet data requirements of various initiatives in Grubhub. This includes improving the Commerce Platform data usability within Grubhub Data Warehouse, empowering business users, data analysts, data scientists in decision making. As a Data Engineer you will have the opportunity to build data pipelines related to Orders, Transactions and Payments data using cutting edge Grubhub Big Data Platform tools.
The Impact You Will Make
- Working with high volumes of data to efficiently process and expose for analysis.
- Collaborating with other engineering teams on strategies for data.
- Work with cutting edge data processing technologies.
- Understand our stakeholder requirements and write complex and efficient code to transform raw data into an easy to approach data marts.
- Doing deep dives on business verticals where you become one of the foremost experts on that vertical in the company.
- Analyze data to measure impacts of data schemas and use it to iterate on improvements.
- Translate from technical to business, and vice versa.
What You Bring to the Table
- Tech-savvy and passion: You have an aptitude and eagerness to learn new and complex technologies at Grubhub.
- Strong cross-functional communication: You can explain complex technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders in a clear and concise way.
- Detail-oriented problem-solving skills: You enjoy the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
- Curiosity and self-awareness: You’re able to articulate when you may need help and are curious enough to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding.
- Team work: You’re able to work both independently and collaboratively with the team, bringing your best to every interaction and inspiring others to do the same.
- Enthusiasm for Grubhub’s mission: You’re excited to help connect hungry diners with great, local restaurants.
- Strong computer science fundamentals from a college degree in Computer Science, a related field of study, or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years experience with SQL, data modeling and patterns.
- 3+ years experience with general purpose programming language, preferably python.
- Background in data engineering writing ETL jobs within a Business Intelligence context.
- Open to relocate to New York at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
- Experience big data processing with Spark and other big data tools a plus.
- Exposure to Amazon AWS or another cloud provider.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to crystallize and broadly socialize insights.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.