Design Intern (Branding/Marketing) - Fall 2019
Do you believe bad kerning can never be justified? Do you find it’s fun to stay at the CMYK but enjoy life in the RGB because things aren’t always #000 and #FFF? See, a design is like a joke; if you have to explain, it’s not that good.
If you’re passionate about communications design and branding, this is the perfect internship for you!
As a Design Intern at Updater, you’ll have the chance to work on all things branding and marketing communications – from digital to print, from motion to interaction, from identity to marketing materials, and everything in between. Your day-to-day will revolve around UX projects, designing for our website and blogs, and assisting our marketing department in designing marketing materials for both B2B and B2C initiatives.
Updater is one of the fastest growing tech companies in Silicon Alley, and we’re looking for an amazing Design Intern who’s seeking real-life exposure to the inner workings of a thriving New York City startup. This internship is an excellent opportunity to work on projects that will meaningfully support our business goals and scalability through design and branding efforts.
Plus, you’ll work alongside an extremely dedicated and motivated team that truly loves working together (team outings, Friday lunches, and team dancing/karaoke are all part of the job). And the best part? You’ll walk away with a concrete set of professional, transferable skills.
- Assist in improving the design quality of all things Updater brand including our website, marketing materials, and campaigns. You'll receive exposure to:
- Digital/interactive items – email newsletters and campaigns, online forms, embeddable items, blog content, and more
- Print/offline items – trade show support, sales and client success team support, and a healthy variety of branding/marketing elements
- Motion/video items – site micro-interactions, design assets for various video and motion pieces, and more
- Assist in developing appropriate process and shared assets between Design, Product, and Engineering departments
- Help find effective ways to improve internal design processes and provide design-thinking to any given problem
- And much more!
- A solid fundamental understanding of visual design principles and keen interest in brand strategy.
- Sharp eyes for typographic details, a proficiency in grid-based design approaches, and skills to apply those knowledge in cross-disciplinary design solutions.
- Passion for expanding your skills and knowledge.
- Strong understanding of data and how to visually display it.
- Competence in Adobe CC products.
- Proficiency in Sketch or/and other UX design tools is a plus.
- Excellence at managing competing priorities and deadlines
- At least a Junior or Senior in undergraduate. Graduate school candidates are welcome.
A month at Updater might include:
- Catered Monday breakfasts, Friday lunches, and rip-roaring happy hours
- Dogs in the office!
- Awesome off-site activities, like zombie laser tag and Escape the Room (just to name a few!)
- Direct working relationship with design/tech industry experts, and cross-functional collaboration with other departments at Updater
- Group outings to NYC Meetup events
- This is a paid internship.
Updater makes moving easier for the 17 million households that relocate every year in the US. With Updater, users seamlessly transfer utilities, update accounts and records, forward mail, and much more. Hundreds of the most prominent real estate companies in the US (from real estate brokerages to multifamily and relocation companies) rely on Updater’s real estate products to save clients hours with a branded and personalized Updater moving experience.
Headquartered in New York City, Updater has raised nearly $100 million from leading investors, including SoftBank Capital, IA Ventures, Commerce Ventures, Second Century Ventures (the strategic investment arm of the National Association of Realtors®), and more. Updater was named a top 100 Crain's Best Places to Work in NYC twice and was ranked as the highest rated tech company on the list in 2016. In 2019, Updater was named as one of Built In NYC’s Best Places to Work. For more information, please visit www.updater.com.
Updater is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.