Executive & Administrative Intern (Summer 2019)
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
As an Executive Administrative intern at theSkimm, you’ll report to a member of our Founder's Office and be their right hand in supporting our co-founders, executive team and communications team. You'll interact with many of the teams at Skimm HQ in NYC, such as our Finance and Operations team, Community and Marketing teams, as well as Content and Editorial teams, with the primary goal to get sh*t done.
Your role at theSkimm will also be to ensure that our founders have a level of personal end administrative support they need to succeed on a daily basis. You'll support the logistics and operations of our executives day, so they can focus on the content of their day. No task is too big or too small and no two days will be the same.
To be successful in this role, we're looking for a motivated and energetic candidate with a keen eye for detail who can take ownership of their responsibilities and help us ensure we run a smooth Executive Office. Daily responsibilities include, but definitely aren’t limited to:
- Saving our Founders precious time by grabbing coffee, snacks, and meals. It might not be the most exciting, but you’ll definitely be thanked!
- Helping our executive teams organize, plan and complete personal tasks that keep their eyes on the prize: growing this B.
- Assisting in the management of calendars and schedules, ensuring the Founders can focus on the content of their day and not the logistics.
- Assisting the team in coordinating and planning events
- Helping provide a cheerful and pleasant experience for guests and Skimm’rs at Skimm HQ
- Learning the ins and outs of how a smooth, fast running executive office operates
- Supporting our communications team with research and record keeping
- Providing ad-hoc coordination support to our PR & Communications team
- Executing on the unplanned!
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- You have the ability to work out of our NYC HQ
- You understand theSkimm’s brand, voice, and mission
- You are able to take direction and run with it
- You are eager to learn
- You are a problem solver and think on your feet
- You are motivated, passionate, and always aim high
- You want to be part of an enthusiastic and fast-paced team
- You are calm, careful, and can go with the flow
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- You are organized, focused, and own your tasks
- You know when to ask for help and when to use your own judgment
- You are ready to dig in and hit the ground running
- You are familiar with New York City
- You can think outside the box
- You are a Skimm’bassador
WHAT WE OFFER
- Full-time (40 hours per week) paid internships ($15.00/hour) for 10-11 weeks, starting June 3rd
- The opportunity to build professional confidence and explore areas of interest
- Management and mentorship from industry professionals working on real-life problems and opportunities
- A summer program catered specifically to a small group of interns at theSkimm
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch for "Sip’n Skimm" on Fridays - a time to walk through our week's highs and lows as a team
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter
This is a temporary role based in New York, NY.