Graphic Design Intern (Summer 2019) at theSkimm
theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to more than 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials. Join us!ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s Visual Design Team is a group of fast-moving and creative thinkers who thrive on creating beautiful work. We're looking for a superstar Design Intern who will assist with a range of projects that compliment their interests, gain industry relevance and exposure to the broader Skimm team. You will work closely with team and gain first-hand experience of the day to day, assisting on marketing, design, editorial and sales based project needs.WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Create engaging graphic illustrations and editorial graphics
- Work on social media campaigns and social graphics
- Create display media units and advertisement campaigns
- Design for internal collateral, and marketing campaigns
- Incoming Junior or Senior Graphic design students who are highly motivated and a self starter
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Passion for great graphics and compelling storytelling
- Strong illustration skills
- Strong knowledge of design standards, typography, illustration, layout, and color sense
- Reliable and able to turn work around within a quick deadline
- Already a Skimm’r, understand the brand and voice
- Sketch design program experience
- Illustrate in our existing style
- After Effects skills
- Full-time (40 hours per week) paid internships ($15.00/hour) for 10-11 weeks, starting June 3rd
- The opportunity to build professional confidence and explore areas of interest
- Management and mentorship from industry professionals working on real-life problems and opportunities
- A summer program catered specifically to a small group of interns across 5 teams at theSkimm
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered lunch for "Sip’n Skimm" on Fridays - a time to walk through our week's highs and lows as a team
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
If you're interested, apply below and please include a link to an online or PDF portfolio.
This is a temporary role based in New York, NY.