The New York Daily News 2020 Summer Internship Program
The New York Daily News with Tribune Publishing is looking for enthusiastic students to learn the world of journalism from one of New York’s most vibrant news organizations.
During the summer of 2020, select interns will be immersed in one of the largest news organizations in the U.S.
You will not be pampered, but expected to think on your feet, get to the core of the story, cover an event in different forms, edit, post and promote online. Think ‘Digital First.’
In this eight-week paid program, students will learn journalism best practices, the latest tools, technologies and insights from a diverse set of editors, and social, digital and headline strategies.
You will have hands-on training, mentorship, learning and development sessions and a chance to meet journalism students from different universities.
You’ll also learn reporting, digital storytelling, newsgathering, and newsroom best practices.
You will also learn how print and digital production merge, a fast–growing global CMS, and analytics used by all Tribune Publishing publications.
- Dates: Monday, June 1 to Friday, July 24
- Hours: About 30 hours a week. $15.00 an hour
- Eligibility: Open to full-time graduate or undergrad students
- Write, research, report, fact-check, copy edit, source, interview, exercise strong news judgment.
- Post stories, galleries and other rich-media content online and on social if needed.
- Interns on City and Photo desks are expected to work primarily in the field.
- Full-time undergraduate and graduate student
- Reporting or editing experience, strong news judgement
- Knowledge of a broad base of news topics, including New York news
- Comfortable with learning new systems, tools and social media
The ideal candidate will have strong demonstrated interest and potential in news, be creative, collaborative, detail-oriented and comfortable working in a fast-paced newsroom.
He/she will also be reliable working on small teams, digitally savvy and flexible.