Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!The Role
- During your internship you will conduct research in the context of one of the most advanced, production-quality, wide-area distributed relational databases, with a modern open-source code base.
- You will invent, prototype and integrate new ideas and technologies that will help define the future of our products and at the same time advance state-of-the-art, ideally resulting in top-tier publications. You will work closely with an engineering / research mentor and other members of the team to achieve these goals.
- Areas of research include, but are not limited to, storage and LSM technologies, query optimization, distributed systems topics (transaction management, concurrency, distribution and replication, allocation), testing, multi-region, SQL execution, serverless technologies, and cloud infrastructure
- You will become an integrated member of our engineering team. You will work on a starter project that allows you to gain confidence in navigating the code base and gain familiarity with our engineering environment, our technology and our company.
- You will work closely with your mentor and team on a project that aligns with your interests and the product roadmap. You will design, prototype, run experiments and analyze data to demonstrate advantages and gain valuable insights on tradeoffs and challenges. You will present your results, and, time permitting, work with your mentor to make the results broadly available to the open source and/or academic community.
- You are enrolled in a Ph.D program related to databases, distributed systems, serverless or other cloud related technologies, graduating between December 2022 and May 2025.
- You have had exposure to coursework on subjects like distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- You love building relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- You are genuinely interested in Cockroach Labs' mission and are excited to use CockroachDB in your projects!
- Bonus: you have past experience working on production-level or open source code.
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]
Our interview process consists largely of programming in a real environment, and we'll be evaluating you on the skills listed above.