Quantitative Sciences Intern (Summer 2020)
We're looking for 2020 Quantitative Sciences Interns who will help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the internship role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in building your career.
What You'll Do
We are looking for team members who are excited to make an immediate impact in a critical space. Quantitative Sciences Interns will analyze the data derived from Flatiron’s network of oncology practices to tackle some of the most pressing research questions in oncology. A potential outcome of this research is a future publication in a peer-reviewed journal. Throughout the Summer you'll also:
- Transform real-world clinical data into actionable insights using robust statistical methods and compelling data visualizations in formats accessible to a wide range of end users
- Become a subject-matter expert in a specific research domain, and on our data and its capabilities
- Define and clarify analytic requirements, develop analysis plans, ensure data quality standards, and create publication-ready methods and results
- Work with oncologists, software engineers, product managers, and other members of the Quantitative Sciences team to understand and clarify analytic requirements and clinical context
Join us to help shape the use of real-world clinical data to improve cancer care.
Who You Are
You're currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in a quantitative discipline, such as biostatistics, epidemiology, applied statistics, or health economics, with expected graduation between December 2020 and June 2021. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You love working with data and have experience exploring data with a critical and thoughtful eye
- You are proficient in R or a similar programming language (e.g. Python, MATLAB, or SAS) and have experience working with complex datasets
- You are a clear and confident communicator, both orally and in writing
- You are self-motivated, comfortable in ambiguous environments, and enjoy generating elegant and innovative solutions to challenging problems
- You are a “do-er” -- you know how to balance attention to detail with quick execution against tight timelines
- You are passionate about our mission to improve healthcare through technology
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You have some oncology experience
- You have experience working with longitudinal electronic medical record data
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Onboarding curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Housing support to help cover the cost of living in NY
- Lunch with the Founders, social events and Team outings
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.