Software Engineer Intern - Product / Infrastructure Backend
The Infrastructure Backend and Product Backend engineering teams are looking for passionate students with an interest in server-side programming to help build, scale, and support the underlying systems, services and APIs powering the features on our highly interactive web applications.
The Infrastructure Engineering teams are responsible for evolving Squarespace's massive engine that serves millions of users worldwide. We build the reverse proxies and caching layers that process 1.5+ billion requests every day, integrate with CDNs, handle TLS termination and understand HTTP/2. We develop the software that interacts with our storage, database and search infrastructure across all of our data centers, ingesting close to 2 TBs of data per day. Our internal products include an asynchronous jobs framework and a robust microservices framework, both used by 200+ software engineers in the wider organization. We create services that can be reused by product teams, including localization, certificate management, screenshotting, authentication, notification and billing services, and the image service that processes 2 million images per day.
Our Product Backend teams work with their frontend counterparts to build the website creation and editing experience. They think about how to structure website data so that we can quickly deliver it to our templating engine. They build systems to manage orders and transactions on websites for users selling goods on our platform. We also have a number of teams building functionality that surrounds the website experience - like account management, domain registration and transfer, machine learning, and more.
- Write high-quality server-side code and create robust high-volume distributed systems primarily in Java.
- Improve our software platforms and systems infrastructure at the core of Squarespace.
- Practice disciplined software engineering through beautiful, pragmatic code, code reviews and automated testing.
- Work closely with a team of experienced engineers to test your ideas and understand the system.
- Currently enrolled student with a graduation date of December 2019 or Spring 2020
- Pursuing a degree (BS, MS, or PhD) in Computer Science or related technical field.
- Experience in Java or C++.
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and problem solving.
- Preferred to have previous internships or work experience in software engineering.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 570 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.