Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students who were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. Almost a decade later, we are a growing, diverse team of 150+ headquartered in SoHo, NYC. We’ve raised over $80m in venture capital funding from top investors including Owl Ventures, Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that empowers tens of millions of people to lead better lives, join us!
Our engineering team works on a variety of projects, like building technology that enables Codecademy curriculum authors to efficiently create, launch, and maintain a rapidly expanding library of content; developing and optimizing landing pages that make the first page of a search engine result; and leveraging and extending APIs to build user-facing features.
During this apprenticeship, you’ll spend approximately 12 weeks embedded on the team, mentored by our full-time engineers.
This position is flexible between frontend and backend -- you can focus on one part of the stack or get exposure to different areas.What you’ll do:
- Architect and build upon services across our platform, enabling our users to achieve their learning goals while considering scalability, efficiency, and maintainability
- Work in a dynamic team environment with product managers, designers, and other engineers
- Contribute to the planning, implementation, and deployment of your team’s projects
- Communicate architectural decisions and code changes to the engineering team and the whole company
- Motivated to pursue a career in software engineering, regardless of past academic or professional experience
- Eager to learn more about the industry and make your mark at Codecademy (and maybe even join our team full-time)
- If you’re enrolled in an educational institution, your graduation date is not later than Spring 2022.
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Willing to work full-time for the full length of the 12-week apprenticeship
- Experience with backend web technologies (we use Golang, Ruby on Rails, SQL, and NoSQL databases) or modern front-end technologies (we use React, Redux, TypeScript, and Webpack)
- Knowledge of architecture concepts (MVC, RESTful APIs, OOP, and caching strategies) or frontend concepts (layout, cross-browser compatibility, web performance, and accessibility)
- Desire and ability to write clean, modular code and unit tests
- Past experience working on user-facing coding projects
- Proven empathy for our learners, such as a background in education or past experience using our site
- Experience with the technologies we use
- A track record of promoting inclusivity in your projects and/or communities
- Submit your resume and cover letter via the form below prior to our May 9th 11:59 pm EDT deadline.
- If your resume is selected for further review, we’ll send you a coding exercise to be completed on your own time (around mid-May 2021)
- A final virtual interview including a coding exercise and company culture interview (Around the second week of June)
The Apprenticeship Period is from July 5th - September 24th (12 weeks)
UPDATE: Due to a company-wide week off during the week of July 5th, the new dates of the apprenticeship will be: July 12th - October 1st , 2021In your cover letter, please answer all three of the following:
- Why do you want to work at Codecademy?
- Tell us about a time knowledge wasn’t easily available to you and how you attained it.
- Tell us about a time when you worked as a part of a team and how you solved any challenges that arose.
Candidates who fail to address all three of these questions in their cover letters will not be considered.
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.