Software Engineering Intern, Backend - Winter
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We strive to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Come and join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
- Design, code, and test across our distributed, open source database, CockroachDB. You bring your expertise to the table to help us build the best database for our users, partners, and customers.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers both in-house and in our open source community to design, implement, and integrate new features and tools into CockroachDB.
- Improve the performance of CockroachDB.
- Make sure that our products stay scalable, survivable, and consistent as we continue to grow as a company.
- Work in at least one of the following areas of interest: backend, frontend, full stack, and/or site reliability engineering.
In your first 30 days, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. During this time, you will work on a starter project that allows you to gain confidence in navigating the code base and gain familiarity with our engineering environment. We believe that it's important for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
For the next 3 months, you will contribute to CockroachDB's codebase. After wrapping up your starter project, you will work with your manager to focus your efforts on a project that aligns with your interests and the product roadmap.
- You are pursuing a degree in Computer Science or related technical field, graduating between May 2020 and December 2022.
- You have had exposure to course works on subjects like distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- Are comfortable using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python/Django. If you don't know any of these languages, you'll learn them while you're here.
- You love building relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- You are genuinely interested in Cockroach Labs' mission and are excited to use CockroachDB in your projects.
Our interview process consists largely of programming in a real environment, and we'll be evaluating you on the skills listed above.
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]