Strategic Design Intern (Summer 2020)
We’re BCG Digital Ventures. Adventure awaits you.
We are an ever-growing global team of the world’s most remarkable entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, venture architects, product experts and investors. Our ventures create a strategic advantage for the most important global companies.
Strategic Design at BCGDV
Our strategic design team develops transformative solutions informed by deep consumer research and insight. They work to uncover the intangible attitudes, behaviors, and motivations that drive people’s choices and desires. By identifying key consumer pain points, our strategic designers can create contextually impactful venture opportunities and platforms through empathetic design thinking.
We are looking for students currently pursuing Graduate degrees. The 10-week internship program will allow interns to gain valuable experience working on our current Ventures.
In this role you will:
- Conduct quantitative research investigations that help strategically frame, validate or challenge other forms of research
- Develop ethnographic research and contextual design investigations to understand customer behaviors, pain points, needs and aspirations
- Contribute to deep trend analysis and research of interesting exemplars in the marketplace
- Identify insights from customer research and market analysis
- Bring your research to life through personas, customer journeys, insight-opportunity frameworks, system maps, stories and scenarios
- Contribute unique ideas within multidisciplinary workshops, meetings and immersion sessions
- Use divergent design thinking techniques for the conceptual development of products, services and/or physical connected form-factors
- Converge innovative ideas to a set of digital and tangible products, services and/or physical connected form-factors in partnership with venture architects, product managers and engineering
- Communicate design ideas using techniques, including product concepts, service models, customer journeys, industrial designs, system maps and/or infographics
- Iteratively design, test and refine disruptive products and services
- Partner with venture architects and product managers to ensure that new ventures and business builds are set up to deliver strategic value in line with design intent
- Observe and engage audiences within the markets of interest to test commercialization assumptions for audience capture and scaling
- Contribute to the evolution of strategic design approaches throughout BCG Digital Ventures
- Communicate insights, concepts and design rationales to internal and external audiences
- Active enrollment in a Masters program in Design or a related subject from an accredited University
- Resume, Cover Letter and Portfolio
- Abilities planning, prioritizing and organizing work effectively and efficiently within a team
- Creative problem solving skills
Additional desired competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in design, business, psychology, strategy, marketing or another relevant field
- An outstanding portfolio of work demonstrating strong human-centered design capabilities across a diverse range of projects
- Experience with ethnographic research (quantitative and qualitative), divergent exploration, conceptual development and industrial design
- A background with product prototyping and testing, future visioning and strategy development
To learn more, visit us at bcgdv.com
Interested applicants may apply through the careers section of the website at https://www.bcgdv.com/. Interviews will take place after resumes have been screened for minimum requirements. Please note that this position is not restricted solely to the responsibilities listed above and that the job scope and responsibilities are subject to change.
BCG Digital Ventures is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law.