Summer 2020 MS Data Science
About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 650 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times. RTR has five retail stores of the future, 11 million community members and employs nearly 1,800 people, all of whom have equal benefits across the organization, 93% of whom are female and/or non-white, with 80% of leaders who are women.
About the Internship Program:
As an Masters of Data Science intern, you will have the unique opportunity to be fully integrated into the Rent the Runway business from the ground level, gaining a holistic picture of how we have transformed the fashion industry and continue to scale our business. This is a paid internship in our corporate HQ office o All applicants must be available to work 40 hours a week during the program dates to be considered.
What You’ll Do:
- Use data to help acquire and maintain the right inventory to create a more curated rental experience for our customers
- Take ownership from day one; immediately owning critical projects, joining cross-functional teams, supporting major decisions and liaising with departments across the company
- Take a proactive role in your assigned department by contributing thoughtful and valuable work, taking ownership of assigned tasks, and collaborating with peers and business leaders
- Own various tasks based on department assignments spanning functions such as strategic planning, customer insights, project execution, research, and analysis, etc.
- Be challenged to find innovative solutions to unique business challenges and continuously evolving needs, constantly iterating and learning as you go
You Should Have:
- Attending a technical graduate program or MBA with clear technical focus and proven technical experience
- Strong SQL, preferably in a professional setting
- Python and/or R
- Experience with BI tools (e.g., Tableau, Looker)
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week from June 8-August 14, 2020
- Experience problem solving and communicating about issues with individual stakeholders and teams with a willingness to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Experience thinking analytically and strategically with the ability to influence internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working with multiple cross-functional teams including analytic and operational functions through an understanding of business needs
- Scrappy, roll up your sleeves approach to problem-solving
- Gain unique exposure to various disciplines based on business needs and your individualized strengths
- Stretch your comfort zone, challenge your boundaries, fail, and get better
- Develop your communication, presentation, analytical, strategic, leadership and collaboration skills
- Participate in specialized programming developed by RTR such as networking with executives, lunch learn presentations, mentoring opportunities, leadership development, special projects, etc.