Systems Intern, Virtualization Tooling at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want an intern who is passionate about designing and operating secure systems at scale.
We are looking for an empathetic engineer who is familiar with some (not all) of our stack and tools, has a willingness and aptitude to grow into the role, is comfortable working remotely, and is excited by the idea of contributing to open source projects and our mission to create simple, yet powerful, foundations (with 💕) from which our community can build. Reporting to the Engineering Manager of Virtualization, the Software Engineering Intern will help us, automate away engineering toil and improve observability into our systems.
Our Stack: C, Chef, Docker, Go, libvirt, Linux, K8s, KVM, OVS, Python, Ruby, QEMU
Our Tools: Concourse, Elasticsearch, GSuite, Jira, Prometheus, Slack
Our Team: The larger team, supported by the Director of Systems, is currently made up of a diverse group of about thirty engineers located across the US, Canada, and Germany. The Virtualization Stack and Virtualization Tooling sub-teams, supported by the Engineering Manager of Virtualization, accounts for approximately one-third of the Systems team.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Learning what it takes to operate a cloud and the importance of observability
- Gaining experience continuously deploying internal tooling on Kubernetes (K8s)
- Expanding our Slack bot (Python/Go running on K8s) to provide refined views of our key metrics
- Adding interactive capabilities to our slack bot to answer questions on demand
- Experience working asynchronous (e.g. over Slack) with team members
- Experience writing secure, testable and robust code
- Experience developing apps for others in Python or Go
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Any Kubernetes, Helm, Jira API, or Slack API experience is a plus
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to be an intern here, and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please note, our intern program will be held remotely this summer.