Lead Designer, WeWork Labs
WeWork is the platform for creators. We provide beautiful workspace, an inspiring community, and meaningful business services to tens of thousands of members around the globe. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living. WeWork members are creators who run the gamut from entrepreneurs, freelancers, and startups, to artists, small businesses and even divisions of large corporations.
WeWork Labs’ mission is to become a long-term partner and friend to early-stage startups. We take an innovative, personal approach to helping startups grow and succeed, making the entire process—from big idea to big impact—much more human. Beyond providing workspace for startups, we provide programming and care to foster an engaged and growing community of creators.
The Role WeWork Labs is looking for a passionate, talented and experienced Communications Designer to join our team. The ideal candidate is versatile, adventurous, and a hustler who is enthusiastic about building new brands and products, designing effective and clever communication systems, and solving problems through visual design. You will take on projects that span across the entire WeWork Labs member experience, including branding, marketing, advertising, and product design, in both print and digital media.
This role will lead creative and visual development of the Labs product offering and brand experience, and will be responsible for founding the WeWork Labs design team. Initial focus will be working as the principal designer in a very hands-on environment with Labs teammates across many non-design disciplines. You will represent a thorough knowledge of design principles, and help the team understand how to utilize design to best reach our business objectives.
In time, this role will grow to encompass the development of a full design team as the business grows.
We thrive in our work-hard, play-hard culture. We get things done. Then we have fun—and lots of it. If this describes where you want to work, you’ll fit right into our team.
- Establish and innovate creative direction for Labs’ visual identity
- Interpret various content types and information to transform it into campaigns, presentations, and infographics
- Craft printed communications and marketing collateral—from posters highlighting our events, to company t-shirts and hoodies, to member onboarding packaging
- Create digital communications and marketing collateral—from landing pages, to banner ads, to email newsletters, and more
- Establish visual direction for all Labs’ products Design wholistic physical experiences that extend beyond a screen
- See projects through from start to finish, including initial team brainstorming, visual research, wireframes, prototyping, interaction studies, and polished visual interfaces
- Be a reputable leader amongst colleagues and peers, both design and non-design oriented
- Able to influence stakeholders and create mindshare that leads to valuable design outcomes
- Build a design culture for a new design team by being involved in hiring new designers, mentoring them, and organizing team functions such as design critiques, one-on-ones, and workshops
- Portfolio of relevant work
- Strong familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/or Sketch
- Deep understanding of design principles, layout, typography, color theory
- Familiar with information architecture and product design
- Working knowledge of interactive or motion design
- Experience working with engineers
- Experience working with marketing and/or product managers
- May play significant role in customer outreach, correspondence, training, and culture building activities
- Minimum of 7-10 years experience in the design field
- Is able to grow and manage a team of designers
Who You Are:
- Creative, adventurous, hungry—ready to roll your sleeves up to get work done
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written are a requirement
- Thrive in a dynamic work environment that requires independent self-direction with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication
- Ability to think creatively and challenge preconceived notions around design
- Demonstrate passion and excitement for the opportunity to solve some of the industry’s biggest user problems that exist beyond the pixels on a screen
- Love reading and learning about current trends in design and art, a senior thought leader around industry trends
- Have a phenomenal sense of humor