ABOUT THE ROLE
Peloton is looking for a self-motivated, dynamic attorney to work with our Media and Marketing Legal Team to facilitate key business and marketing functions. The Associate Counsel - Licensing & Marketing will be responsible for advising internal clients and will assist in managing outside counsel on brand licensing, marketing, trademark clearance, advertising compliance, Member experience, and related commercial transactions. This position requires a thorough understanding of Peloton’s multifaceted business, including its partners, members, and competitors, in order to support the achievement of business objectives.
- Assist with the strategic management of Peloton Legal’s brand licensing and marketing matters, including apparel licensing deals, advertising campaigns, social media reviews, creative asset and lockup reviews, and consumer and business insights
- Develop and implement trademark clearance, marketing and social media best practices, process improvements and regular compliance trainings for various audiences within and external to Peloton
- Advise internal clients and business partners on risks and opportunities related to Peloton’s media assets and priorities, marketing claims, and brand positioning and licensing
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts for stakeholders in the apparel, marketing, creative, and brand organizations, with assistance of senior in-house attorneys and/or outside counsel where appropriate
- Strong working knowledge of domestic and international laws and regulations governing fair use and trademark clearances, advertising (e.g., false advertising, claim substantiation, fair use and rights of publicity) as well as experience with intellectual property and marketing clearances
- Experience drafting and negotiating license agreements, apparel distribution agreements, agency service agreements, statements of work, and talent agreements
- Experience with drafting, reviewing and revising marketing assets and identifying potential risks to the business
- Superior critical thinking skills, with a bias for action and confidence to make informed decisions that have both legal and business implications
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with an aptitude for working cross-functionally
- Fastidious organization and focus in prioritizing and managing multiple projects at once
- Ability to collaborate with all personality types, including creatives and other entertainment industry players
- Knowledge about the consumer tech, social media, product placement and marketing world
- Knowledge of union and collective bargaining (e.g., SAG) issues and rules and regulations is a plus
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, disruptive business
- 3+ years’ experience at a top law firm or in-house practice focusing on marketing, advertising and ancillary matters (in-house experience is a plus)
- A member in good standing of the NY CA, or comparable State Bar
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Headquartered in New York City, with offices, warehouses and retail showrooms in the US, UK and Canada, Peloton is changing the way people get fit. Peloton has been named to many prestigious industry lists, including Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies, CNBC's Disruptor 50, Crain's New York Business' Tech25 and Fast50, as well as TIME's Genius Companies. Visit www.onepeloton.com/careers to learn more about joining our team.