Associate Counsel at Bread
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the world of paper credit card applications and hidden interest rates by providing leading point-of-sale financing options for merchants across the e-commerce journey. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow merchants to integrate an installment loan financing and checkout experience anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2015 by financial technology veterans and has experienced explosive growth to date. We’re backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
The legal function at Bread interacts with every aspect of our consumer finance technology business and is critical to our long-term strategy. The Associate Counsel role will be part of a growing team working in a fast-paced environment and will drive critical decisions.
Our ideal candidate is a lawyer who is interested in becoming an expert in consumer finance law, has a sharp business acumen coupled with a consistent and methodological approach and, most importantly, a humble attitude.
What you will do:
- Work closely with our product, credit, finance, sales, operations, and engineering teams on new product roll outs and business growth initiatives
- Work with auditors and our bank partner to ensure continued compliance with banking and consumer finance laws
- Analyze and read federal and state regulations around consumer finance. Stay up to date on legal trends in the online lending space.
- Work on the other aspects of our business, such as our capital structure requirements, intellectual property, data security, and general contract management.
- An attorney with a JD from a top law school
- Attention to detail.
- You must be willing to roll up your sleeves and do the not-so-glamorous work with precision.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- The ability to propose legally sound but practical, business minded solutions
- The desire and ability to learn and adapt quickly
Nice to Have:
- Consumer finance experience (either regulatory experience or private practice)