The Trade Desk is changing the way global brands and their agencies advertise to audiences around the world. How? With a media-buying platform that helps brands deliver a more insightful and relevant ad experience for consumers — and sets a new standard for global reach, accuracy, and transparency.
So if you’re talented, driven, creative, and hungry to bring something entirely new and wildly ambitious into the world (and have some fun doing it), then we want to talk.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
The Trade Desk is a dynamic, fast-growing company and we require excellent leadership at all levels. We are looking for an experienced commercial transactions attorney who has excellent judgement, loves to analyze complex legal issues, find creative solutions, and effectively negotiate deals. We are looking for someone who is able to collaborate cross-functionally while also balancing competing demands, working independently, maintaining a positive attitude and, hopefully, contributing some humor to our legal slack channel. Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel and as an integral part of a global legal team, the Associate General Counsel will have the opportunity to develop professionally by working on interesting and challenging matters in a high growth, cutting edge technology company. The Trade Desk is a company that will invest in its employees’ professional development— as we grow, we want our employees to grow with us.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Collaborate with key stakeholders on our business development, client services, inventory and data partnerships, and finance teams to advise on complex legal matters and develop creative solutions to contribute to the overall success of the company;
- Structure, draft, review, negotiate, and manage a variety of commercial agreements including master service agreements, supplier agreements, data and measurement agreements, and first-of-a-kind agreements with strategic partners;
- Lead legal role in high-visibility projects with our top clients and build strong relationships with key business decision-makers;
- Continually improve our legal commercial processes to help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach and to help the company to move quickly and thoughtfully;
- Mentor and lead other attorneys;
- Provide practical advice on legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures and company policies in a risk-tolerant, but compliance-oriented environment;
- Identify, research, analyze, and advise teams on a wide range of relevant legal topics (e.g., licensing, intellectual property, commercial, data security, and privacy law), issues, and risks;
- Keep abreast of legislative changes that may affect the company globally.
WHO YOU ARE:
- 8+ years inhouse or in combination with an internationally/nationally recognized law firm experience required;
- Admitted to practice in New York or California or the ability to register as In-House Counsel in New York or California;
- Juris doctorate from a top-ranked US law school required;
- Excellent business judgement, superior leadership skills, and strong commitment to providing timely and top-quality client service with superior work product;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, while juggling competing, time-sensitive demands;
- Excellent legal skills, including significant experience in structuring, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating a variety of commercial technology agreements (SaaS preferred);
- Excellent interpersonal skills (sense of humor is a big plus);
- Ability to communicate complex legal concepts in layman’s terms;
- Background in digital advertising, privacy, data matters, and/or digital media is strongly preferred;
- International experience a plus.
Please include a cover letter outlining your interest in the role.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.