Associate General Counsel
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re making homeownership simpler, faster — and most importantly, more accessible for all Americans.
By combining smarter technology with a desire to not just change one piece of the journey but the entire makeup of what it’s like to buy and own a home in this country, we’re building things that don’t exist yet.
Better.com by the numbers:
- We fund $600 million in home loans per month
- Nearly $5 billion in loans funded since our inception in 2016
- 2 years running, we’re one of Crain’s “Best Places to work”
- We’re #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in NYC
- And #964 on Inc.’s 2019 “5000 Fastest-Growing Companies”
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
- ...and counting
We continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank. Plus, our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, and others have all invested in our vision of redefining the entire home buying journey.
A Better opportunity:
At Better, we believe in making home finance more more accessible, easier to understand, and cheaper for all Americans. We are committed to this important, impactful work. This person will be joining us as we scale across the organization and expand our mortgage operations into new states. The successful candidate will provide guidance to mortgage operations teams, draft and review contracts, oversee complaint management, review marketing copy, conduct legal research, respond to regulatory inquiries, oversee outside consultants and assist the General Counsel/Chief Compliance Officer with special projects. This is a fantastic opportunity to be a key member of a legal/compliance team that is critical to ensuring the thoroughness of our loan origination process and our ability to deliver for our clients during a pivotal stage of our company’s development.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide legal and non-legal advice to the General Counsel and other key individuals in the company, including policy recommendations with respect to the mortgage industry, general corporate, real estate, litigation, employment or regulatory matters involving the activities of the Company.
- Work closely with the General Counsel on legal matters impacting the Company.
- Assist the General Counsel and the Compliance Department with regulatory examinations.
- Review contracts including leases, advertising and marketing agreements, software agreements and vendor agreements.
- Review marketing/advertising copy.
- Review and advise on compliance policies.
- Assist the General Counsel in managing legal needs of lines of business engaged in strategic partnerships, including working with outside counsel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5 to 10 years of experience working in a legal, corporate or governmental environment interfacing with senior leaders
- Proven experience performing legal research
- JD from an accredited law school and are licensed to practice in New York, New Jersey or California
- Strong leadership capabilities and can tell us about things that would have never happened if you weren’t there to motivate a group of people to do them
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent project management and task tracking skills
- Proficient with MS Office and Google applications
- Travel when needed, within the US, on relatively short notice
- Possess unyielding integrity and confidentiality
- Flexible and willing to work extended hours when necessary to advance the mission
- Ability to think outside of the box in difficult situations: giving up is never an option
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it.