Commercial Transactions Attorney at Stack Overflow
The Commercial Transactions Attorney is an Individual Contributor role reporting to the VP, Legal. Opportunity to join a small legal department and make a big impact. You will support sales of our Teams products throughout the US and abroad. This attorney will work with strategic leadership, account executives, sales management, Infosec and others at all levels of the company in connection with reviewing, drafting, and negotiating contracts. Also, the Commercial Transactions Attorney will work cross- functionally to ensure all transactions comply with privacy and data security requirements, as well as Stack Overflow’s processes and policies. The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of all issues concerning contracts and delivery of SaaS products and a service oriented approach, as well as a demonstrated ability to problem solve and negotiate complex sales deals.
Stack Overflow is a dynamic tech company in high growth mode. This is an opportunity to work on cutting edge tech issues, collaborating with some of the best and brightest, while making an impactful contribution.
What you’ll do:
- Draft, review, and negotiate NDAs, commercial sales, evaluation and other agreements (globally) for technology outbound licenses/product sales. This includes negotiating directly with customers and ensuring third party flow through coverage for our commitments.
- Partner with our business teams to provide practical advice on issues and risks, as well as summarize and communicate legal concepts clearly and effectively, to help achieve sales targets
- Work closely with privacy counsel and information security team to help ensure the Company’s compliance with all applicable privacy laws and security policies
- Assist in the update and roll-out of our standard agreement templates and legal processes, to help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach
- Issue spotting to identify terms that need to be negotiated to conform to Stack requirements
- Juris Doctor degree (J.D.) from an accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in at least 1 State
- Minimum 5 years of experience working at a company’s in-house legal department supporting software/SaaS transactions. Total 6-10 years practicing law with majority of experience being transactional and at least 4 years of supporting sales teams including advising on, drafting and negotiating terms on customer paper and online terms, as well as working with client templates.
- Experience issue spotting and advising on a broad variety of business, finance, intellectual property, privacy, security and licensing and other issues in commercial contracts including but not limited to:
- Software/technology licensing and development agreements (including SaaS and PaaS)- sales and vendor agreements
- Online terms imbedded in contracts/templates
- Data Privacy Agreements
- Security requirements
- Product use requirements
- Experienced coordinating with other attorneys and compliance groups in a team-oriented approach, while driving transactions to completion
- Negotiation experience (in particular, the ability to lead negotiations with a multiplicity of parts), as well as analytical and organizational skills
- Refined and well-practiced drafting skills (in particular, the ability to develop creative solutions in areas with evolving legal guidance and unique business challenges)
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, work independently and remotely, with limited oversight and prioritize work tasks in an effective manner
- Proven ability to creatively accomplish organization goals while assessing and managing legal risk
- Track record of processing a large volume of matters
- Quick learner who is comfortable with change
- Collaborative with a can-do attitude balanced with the ability to gracefully communicate difficult messages
- Comfortable working with all levels of business professionals, including senior management and domestic and international colleagues at other departments in a fast paced environment
- Comfortable working with colleagues located in different time zones
- Proficiency with: MS Word and GMail
Nice to haves:
- Proficiency with Google Suite
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and paid sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- 401K match
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunches, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening voluntarily on September 6, 2021), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successfully completing a background check and having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.#LIRemote #BI-Remote