At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Justworks is looking to add a dynamic lawyer to the team as Compliance Counsel to provide legal services in support of the Company’s insurance optionality compliance and development, reporting to Senior Compliance Counsel. We are seeking a highly motivated, engaging lawyer with insurance industry experience. This role will involve working with people in different levels of the organization, developing and formalizing processes and improving the compliance program.
The Benefits Platform team is a new investment at Justworks, and operates as an autonomous and tight knit cross-functional unit. The team is responsible for accelerating the growth of the core business by building and running a new, hyper flexible benefits platform that will serve as the launch pad for multiple new products, services, and partnerships over the next 5 years. Our mission is to make health insurance accessible, inclusive, high-quality, and easy-to-use for all small and medium businesses, regardless of their location, size, or industry.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Work with other Justworks teams, including Risk & Insurance, Product, Engineering, Finance, Customer Success, Marketing, Payments/Tax Unit, and Sales relating to various legal and compliance matters
- Prepare and enhance Justworks policies and standard operating procedures
- Educate stakeholders on legal matters and policies
- Negotiate commercial contracts and assist with corporate matters and transactions
- Monitor and analyze regulatory developments and best practices in insurance and licensing and prepare and conduct training and employee education, as needed
- Prepare and manage applicable business and insurance licenses as needed
- Assist with various legal matters and perform other tasks as assigned from time to time
- Work on complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of
- Work with and monitor outside brokers in connection with providing access to insurance for
- Work closely with and manage outside counsel relating to various matters
Help drive compliance program awareness and handle other related responsibilities
Other duties as needed based on department and/or organizational needs
As a Compliance Counsel, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Clear communication - The ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Ethical practice - The ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Detail-oriented - Exercising extreme attention to detail; you’re thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seek to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Manage complexity - Making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Risk assessment - Apply a logical step-by-step process to protect, and consequently minimize risks to, the organization, interests and employees.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience in ERISA or insurance matters with a corporate legal department and/or a nationally recognized law firm
- JD degree from an accredited law school and admitted to New York bar, or qualified as an in-house lawyer.
- Must possess a superior knowledge and application of contract and business law with strong legal analysis skills
- Sound business judgment in managing contractual risk and exposure
- Committed to being a legal business partner to internal clients
- Relevant experience with DOL/IRS audits and compliance filings preferred
- Government experience, particularly at the DOL or IRS, could also be a plus
- Familiarity with employment law matters a plus
- Compliance certification (e.g., CCEP) a plus
- Occasional travel is required
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment