Greater NYC Area
As Teachable's first dedicated Compliance lead, you will have the opportunity to develop and implement Teachable's global data privacy program while also leading and expanding the Company's compliance function to cover multiple disciplines.
- Lead the development and implementation of Teachable’s global data privacy program. You will have the opportunity to build this program from the ground up, working with and providing supervision of external parties (law firms, consultants) as needed
- Facilitate compliance with privacy legislation such as GDPR, PIPEDA, etc.
- Develop internal workflows, including data control design and monitoring
- Work with the Engineering team to scope and perform periodic data privacy risk assessments, mitigation and remediation
- Establish best practices and training for employees
- Provide strategic leadership and tactical support for all compliance related programs and initiatives such as fraud and AML risk management, PCI DSS, SOC 2, etc.
- Remain up-to-date on relevant consumer protection, privacy and data security laws and regulations, as well as on technological developments and evolving industry standards
- Review and collaborate with Marketing, Finance and Customer Care to ensure external messaging is in accordance with industry standards and requirements
- Work with People Operations to draft and update employee handbooks, company policies, and benefits documentation for federal, state and local compliance
- Work with Finance to ensure Teachable is in compliance with all relevant payments-related regulations
Qualifications and Experience
- 8+ years’ work experience
- At least 2 years experience in a technology startup environment
- At least 4 years experience in a compliance-related capacity addressing legal risks and obligations under privacy and data security laws in the U.S., Canada, and Europe. Experience with privacy and data security laws in other countries a plus
- Fluency translating legal advice into actionable guidance for product, engineering and business teams
- Adaptability and ability to work on a wide range of matters that arise on a day-to-day basis
- Must be comfortable working in a startup environment
- Attention to detail and a sense of humor
Teachable is an instructor-focused online course platform that lets course creators build and sell courses on any topic, from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Our thousands of instructors have earned more than $150M to date, and we've raised $12.5m+ from a group of top venture investors. We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent in NYC.
At Teachable, you will have the freedom to do your job and be an integral member of our tight-knit team, and you can do it all in our beautiful office in Flatiron with great benefits and perks. You’ll also get access to an ever-growing base of online educators, and your work will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a fair and consistent interview process, and to constantly working to ensure an inclusive work environment.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us in your application if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Read Full Job Description