Corporate Counsel, Research
Flatiron Health's Research organization was started in 2014 with the goal of serving cancer patients by accelerating research. We believe that existing clinical research paradigms are ill-equipped to answer the research questions that face drug developers, academic researchers, and regulators in the oncology space today. By focusing on technology solutions that can be deployed widely across the Flatiron network of providers, Flatiron has the opportunity to generate insights that were previously impossible.
Flatiron’s Legal team practices at the intersection of healthcare, research and technology. We are a small group that provides legal and strategic support across the entire company. We work efficiently to drive our business forward while maintaining high standards for professionalism and compliance.
We are looking for a Corporate Counsel to continue to accelerate Flatiron’s mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. This role will provide product, regulatory and commercial support to our Life Sciences facing teams, including our real world evidence and clinical trials businesses. This role may also support business development and partnership activities in the research space, as as well as other legal matters that inevitably arise throughout our day. Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, this role will work across the company to identify needs, provide advice, and execute on contracts and processes to allow Flatiron’s business to grow.
- Lead, from beginning to end, the structuring, drafting, reviewing, negotiating and closing of corporate and commercial transactions, including services, licensing, collaboration, partnership, clinical trial, data use and consulting agreements, amendments and related documents. The successful attorney in this role will manage a diverse scope of contracting issues, identify and evaluate many business and legal issues simultaneously, and will require minimal oversight.
- Develop and maintain updated template agreements that reflect Flatiron’s new and evolving products and services.
- Partner with executive leadership on key legal matters associated with Flatiron’s research activities, including transactional, intellectual property, contractual and regulatory areas.
- Collaborate with various teams within Flatiron, including Life Sciences Partnerships, Trials, Academics, Business Development, People Ops, Finance, Marketing/Communications and others to provide strategic and legal guidance.
- Represent the needs and concerns of Flatiron when negotiating with the legal and contracting functions of clients and vendors.
- Provide creative legal solutions for all areas of the business.
- Continually review and analyze legal risks and opportunities to Flatiron from the changing regulatory and competitive environments.
- Drive regulatory risk management initiatives - assisting all operational areas in the identification and assessment of potential risks and executing mitigating activities.
- Build training and other processes to allow Flatiron’s teams to execute within a clear legal framework.
Who You Are:
- JD Degree
- 3-7 years of legal experience representing life sciences companies
- Member and in good standing of any State Bar
- Ability to work independently and exercise excellent judgment
- Extraordinary interpersonal skills and ability to provide sound, clear and succinct legal advice and analysis to legal and business teams in both verbal and written forms
- Experience with technology transactions, licensing, data use and clinical trials agreements
- Fluency with technology that enables you to communicate and work effectively with team members
- Ability to multi-task, work under tight time pressures, prioritize work, and react quickly to changing business needs and demands all in a fast-paced, high-growth business environment
- Experience with regulatory issue spotting, research, analysis, and risk mitigation in the highly regulated health care or pharmaceuticals environments
- You have a passion for helping the world beat cancer
- Trained within the life sciences or health care department of a top-tier law firm
- Experience working in the legal department at a biopharma company or contract research organization