Corporate Legal Counsel
Latch is seeking a motivated Corporate Legal Counsel to join its growing legal department. This role is Latch’s second legal hire, will report to the VP of Legal, and will help build and shape Latch’s legal department to further unify our legal function with core business objectives. You will help structure, draft, and review Latch’s software agreements with customers and contracts with vendors, suppliers, and service providers. You will also routinely work with outside counsel on a variety of specialized matters that relate to international trade, intellectual property, insurance, and risk management. This role also involves meaningful business development work, including the design of strategic partnerships and structuring contracts with these partners.
You should have superb legal experience and equally strong business judgment. You will work closely with our business development, sales, finance, engineering, supply chain, and product teams as you help establish and refine Latch’s legal framework for smart access. As you implement this framework, you will frequently communicate directly with executives of Latch and our customers and partners. You will be a critical part of an exciting and growing technology company that is changing the way that we access the spaces most important to us.
Smart access isn’t about locking doors, it’s about opening up new possibilities. Latch is the world’s first fully integrated hardware and software system dedicated to bringing seamless access to every door in a modern building. We’re looking for the curious and the creative to join our team and help us continue to change the way we access our most valued spaces.
- Proactively identify legal risks and provide advisory support and execution on corporate matters
- Advise and support C-suite and VP-level leadership on both legal and business topics
- Manage Latch's software contracts, and engage in customer-facing communication regarding our contracts
- Support the identification and pursuit of strategic partnership opportunities with our business development team
- Structure, draft, and review contracts with strategic partners, vendors, service providers, suppliers, and manufacturers
- Work closely with internal business teams to identify, investigate, and manage legal risk across a wide range of product, engineering, marketing, content, and business initiatives
- Work closely with our outside counsel on corporate matters, including investor relations and financing-related inquiries
- Help formulate legal policy and process across the organization as it matures and grows
- Support our sales and business development teams to appropriately manage risk and provide superlative service for our customers and partners
- Remain knowledgeable on relevant industry, intellectual property, and privacy laws and regulations
- Juris Doctor degree and qualified to practice law in-house in New York state
- At least 3-4 years of commercial legal experience, preferably at or representing successful, high-growth venture-backed companies
- Substantial experience in drafting commercial contracts and negotiating commercial agreements – either in-house or on behalf of a client – with counterparties ranging from venture-backed companies to large publicly traded corporations
- Strong knowledge of venture capital financing (experience preferred), including fundraising process, investor communications, and legal documentation
- Experience and comfort discussing contracts and complex legal topics with non-legal customers and colleagues
- Superlative communication and relationship-building skills to work effectively with senior leaders at partner organizations
- Able to manage multiple objectives and tasks simultaneously, with a desire to identify opportunities and challenges at the intersection of those projects
- Keen to grow into roles of greater responsibility as our legal and business development functions scale
- Ownership mindset:
- Excited to set goals and to be held accountable for those goals
- Skilled at defining objectives, outlining execution plan, and proactively following-through on goals
- Experience with data privacy and cyber security regulations, including working knowledge of CCPA and GDPR
- Knowledge of intellectual property law
Founded in 2014, Latch is a venture-backed, high-growth organization that's on a mission to change the way people open, manage, and share their spaces. Today, 1 in 10 new developments in the U.S. depend on our full-building smart access solution to meet the needs of residents and property managers.
We are a team of just over 200 employees, all of whom are passionate self starters with unique backgrounds and unexpected stories. We offer unlimited time off, a competitive health package, and the opportunity to work in a creative, dynamic, and fast-paced office environment. We are located just a quick walk from both Hudson Yards and Penn Station in New York City.