Counsel - Corporate, Labor & Employment at Cityblock Health
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
You will be joining Cityblock’s legal team at a critical point in the company’s growth trajectory. You will report-in to one of two Senior Counsel (one degree of reporting from the General Counsel). We are seeking a deeply thoughtful, hardworking, emotionally intelligent, organized, and pragmatic attorney, who brings both meaningful labor & employment experience and a desire to learn and support on a variety of corporate issues, partnering with business teams across the organization.
You are a self-starter eager to learn and bring a creative and solutions-oriented mindset to the daily challenges facing a fast-growing start-up. You are excited to support a mission-driven organization as it works to improve the health outcomes of traditionally underserved populations. You can effectively and diplomatically communicate and collaborate with colleagues across departments.
How We Define Success:
- Act as an internal subject matter expert on employment law and related corporate issues.
- Support the Talent team in negotiating employment-related contracts and addressing candidate questions that implicate legal.
- Support the People team in navigating a wide variety of employment law issues.
- Draft and advise on employee-related policies and procedures.
- Support the business on general corporate matters (finance, insurance, real estate, commercial)
- Build resources to improve efficiency, process, and best-practice across the organization.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Establish rapport and working relationships with business owners in order to build trust and facilitate the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
Requirements for the Role:
- Law Degree (J.D.)
- Minimum of 3 years Labor & Employment counsel experience
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Experience in a start-up or high-growth environment
- Experience working directly with business stakeholders
- In-house legal experience
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.