At Teachable, we’re on a mission to empower creators everywhere to share what you know. Through our company platform, we help thousands of creators build courses and teach online. Our software makes it easy to create beautiful online courses, and provides creators an integrated solution to collect payments from their students. Sign up with Teachable, create amazing courses, share those courses with students from around the world, get rewarded financially. Simple, right?
However, behind the scenes the Legal and Compliance team diligently manages complex issues to make sure that our creators, students, employees, and shareholders are kept safe and sound. Cutting across the company horizontally, the Legal team pivots from privacy laws, to changing tax requirements, to copyright and trademark rights, to marketing and advertising requirements, to new product development considerations, to employment laws in the wake of our current reality, and more. In this role, it’s imperative that you can research and synthesize the legal requirements that we face and then pivot to implement policies, programs, or projects that ensure compliance with those laws.
- You like variety and challenge yourself to know a lot about a lot of things
- You are decisive and take action but can collaborate to make things happen
- You’re motivated by mission and thrive in unstructured environments
- You’re here to make a difference (but you don’t mind the snacks and ping pong)
- You have some expertise in tax, copyright, trademark, privacy, risk management, payments, or compliance, and you want to learn about the things on that list that you don’t know
- You’re not comfortable with only partially solving the equation and good enough isn’t good enough for you
- You roll up your sleeves and get your stuff done
- You also know how to have fun and want to be part of a dynamic, diverse environment filled with smart, unique, passionate people
- Perform legal and compliance related research to guide the company’s initiatives
- Respond to copyright and trademark questions, including DMCA notifications
- Become an SME on marketing laws and best practices as it relates to a global SAAS platform.
- Draft and negotiate contracts
- Become an SME on payment processing compliance as it relates to a worldwide SAAS marketplace, including money transmitter requirements
- Support payments processes, including fraud initiatives, tax collection, payment and check out, and payment plans such as subscriptions and installment plans
- Assist in building the global compliance program at Teachable
- Work on the front lines with our Customer Operations team directly responding to legal and compliance issues that may be raised by our customers
- Stay current on issues that may impact us, such as OFAC, AML Requirements, State Tax Legislation, etc.
- Know or be willing to learn when to manage items in-house and when to escalate to the global legal team or outside counsel
- Manage outside counsel, including keeping an eye towards budget and review of work product
- Be willing to learn about Teachable’s product to best apply the relevant laws and mitigate legal risk
- Jump into new products with an eye towards the ongoing legal risks and new risks that are created as the company expands its offerings.
- Juris Doctor
- New York Bar membership or ability to register as In-House Counsel in New York
- 2 - 5+ years legal experience in a law firm, in-house, or at a startup
- Experience in payments, financial services, tax, privacy, regulatory compliance, or copyright a plus
- Ability to roll up sleeves and get things done
- Proficiency with taking complex issues and reducing them to consumable, actionable information (after all Slack isn’t very conducive to long memos)
- Detail oriented
- Desire and comfortableness working in a startup environment
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Discretionary paid vacation & time off with a company average of 24 days a year
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
50% gym & wellness match
$250 Donation Match Program
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we've raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now part of Hotmart Company, a global tech group focused on the Creator Economy, with over 1,300 employees in 8 countries (Netherlands, USA, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, France and UK). Hotmart´s mission is to help creators make a living from their passions, using digital products to entertain, help and instruct their audiences.
We're growing rapidly, with triple-digit year-over-year growth, and are continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won't hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you'll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we're committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.