Counsel, Litigation & Regulatory at Squarespace
Squarespace is looking for an experienced litigation and regulatory counsel to join our Legal team. As a key part of our team, you will have the opportunity to work with stakeholders from across the company and advise on a range of legal, compliance and business issues. The ideal candidate is a business-minded litigator who understands business objectives and helps balance legal risks.
The role can be based in NYC or remotely in an approved location (see application question below for approved locations). This role reports into our Assistant General Counsel based in New York.
You'll Get To...
- Support a wide range of litigation, pre-litigation and other matters across multiple disciplines involving consumers, employees, intellectual property rights holders, and other parties.
- Assisting in all aspects of litigation including fact finding and analysis, discovery, document retention, revising pleadings and briefs, legal research, witness preparation, negotiations, risk assessments and developing legal strategy.
- Handle responses to law enforcement requests for information and third party discovery requests. Manage and enhance subpoena and discovery processes.
- Help build, administer and refine response framework for common third party and customer complaints.
- Understand US legislative process and monitor evolving statutory developments in multiple areas of internet-related laws including CDA §230, DMCA, and other online intermediary liability laws; GDPR, CCPA/CPRA and other privacy and data protection laws; consumer protection laws and guidance from relevant regulatory authorities (e.g., FTC).
- Keep others on the Legal team up to date on proposed changes to internet-related laws. Advise on Company strategy on trade group, lobbying and amicus efforts.
- Opportunities to support additional practice areas and initiatives based on the candidate’s background and interest, for example, commercial contracts, internal policies.
Who We're Looking For
- 2 to 4 years of litigation and/or regulatory experience, including at a major law firm or in-house legal department
- A passion for technology and a commitment to innovation
- Knowledge of internet-related laws
- Strong familiarity with e-discovery strategy and management is a plus
- Flexibility and creativity in solving problems and dealing with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, and solid business judgment
- Organized, diligent and pragmatic with a high attention to detail and a commitment to operational execution
- Admitted to and in good standing with at least one state bar
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Pretax commuter benefits
- Education reimbursement
- Employee donation match to community organizations
- 7 Employee Resource Groups across locations
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Free lunch and snacks
- Private rooftop
Squarespace is a leading all-in-one website building and ecommerce platform that enables millions to build a brand and transact with their customers in an impactful and beautiful online presence. Our suite of products enables anyone at any stage of their journey to manage their projects and businesses through websites, domains, ecommerce, marketing tools, and scheduling, along with tools for managing a social media presence with Unfold and hospitality business management via Tock. Squarespace democratizes access to best-in-class design, helping our customers in approximately 200 countries and territories maintain consistent branding across all digital touchpoints to stand out online. Our team of more than 1,400 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Ireland, Portland, Oregon, Los Angeles, California and Chicago, Illinois. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.