Counsel at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.The job - Counsel
As part of the Legal & Compliance team, Counsel will provide legal services to Justworks in support of various functions in the organization, including, Product, Customer Success, Marketing, Operations, Sales and Security. This role will report to the VP, Compliance & Corp. Counsel and involve working with people in different levels of the organization, formalizing processes and improving the compliance program.What you'll do
The ideal candidate will have strong contract drafting skills and be business savvy with a firm grasp of both legal and financial concepts. This is a position that is perfect for a highly qualified lawyer looking to transition to an in-house opportunity in a high growth company.
- Negotiate commercial contracts and assist with corporate matters and transactions
- Prepare and enhance Justworks policies and standard operating procedures
- Educate stakeholders on legal matters and policies
- Monitor and help educate internal stakeholders about changes in relevant laws, regulations and industry news that impact our business
- Prepare and conduct training, as necessary
- Assist VP, Compliance & Corporate Counsel with various legal matters and perform other tasks as assigned from time to time, including, assistance with development and coordination of Justworks’ internal compliance program
- Work with other Justworks teams, including Product, Customer Success, Operations, Marketing and Sales relating to various other legal and compliance matters
- Supervise and manage outside counsel on relating to various matters
- Help drive Legal & Compliance program awareness and handle other related responsibilities. Some travel is required
Education & Experience:
- JD degree from an accredited law school
- A minimum of 5-6 years of substantive legal experience in general corporate matters (e.g., mergers & acquisitions) with a corporate legal department or a nationally recognized law firm
- Experience in counseling clients on labor & employment, preferred
- Experience with payroll tax and/or privacy matters a plus
- Must possess a superior knowledge and application of contract and business law with strong legal analysis skills
- Sound judgment in managing contractual risk and exposure
- Committed to being a legal business partner to internal clients
- Compliance certification (e.g., CCEP) and/or Six Sigma training preferred
- Internal communications experience
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent time management, organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- A collaborative, team player with a positive attitude
Visa sponsorship for this role is currently not available.
Diversity at Justworks
Justworks’ vision is for all identities, backgrounds and expressions to be represented in the workplace. We're building the foundation for long-term success and intend to cultivate a safe, collaborative and inclusive space and company culture.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.