Deputy General Counsel, Capital Markets at Gemini
Help us Build the Future of Money
Gemini Trust Company, LLC (Gemini) is a licensed digital asset exchange and custodian. We built the Gemini platform so customers can buy, sell, and store digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Zcash) in a regulated, secure, and compliant manner.
Digital assets and blockchain technology have the power to transform the world for good. This truth, along with our core values, form the bedrock of our company and culture. At Gemini, no job is too small and no project too big as we endeavor to build the future of money. We are a mission-driven, team-based, inclusive, and determined community of thought leaders who invest in each other and the long game. Join us in our mission!
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history, paving the way when it comes to applying the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, we tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role: Deputy General Counsel, Capital Markets
As the Deputy GC, you’ll be solving incredibly complex legal challenges in the nascent industry that is crypto. You will lead the team providing regulatory advice and product counseling for Gemini’s core exchange products, broker-dealer operations, and the design and launch of lending, derivatives, and other related products. Together with the GC, you’ll advise and protect Gemini, partnering externally with regulatory bodies and internally with Leadership across Technology, Finance, Security, Compliance, and Business Development, as well as the Office of the CEO. The Deputy GC will also help define and build the internal Legal department at Gemini. You will play a critical role as we continue to innovate globally and define our business as the forefront licensed digital asset exchange and custodian.
- Ensure compliance with U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with financial regulation, global expansion, corporate governance, intellectual property, privacy, consumer protection, and licensing.
- Act as legal adviser and partner to the whole gamut of Gemini’s internal departments, including Engineering, Product Management, Business Development, Marketing and Communications, Finance, and Compliance.
- Develop and maintain a repository of legal resources that are required for Gemini products globally, such as terms of service, privacy notices and other disclosures.
- Respond to and set precedents for a wide range of legal requests from Gemini’s internal departments.
- Aid in the building of a nimble, impactful Legal function at Gemini; potentially manage future hires that will join this department.
- JD degree or equivalent degree.
- 10 years experience practicing law in a firm or as part of an in-house counsel team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to be proactive and self-motivated while practicing sound judgment.
- 10-15+ years relevant experience in regulated financial services
- In-house experience at a regulated financial institution including a bank or broker-dealer; experience at a fintech company or innovation lab within a bank would be ideal
- Expertise under the Securities Act, Exchange Act, Commodities Exchange Act, Investment Advisers Act, and/or Investment Company Act, including SEC and FINRA broker-dealer rules and CFTC rules governing derivatives; experience with lending and/or insurance products ideal
- Prior relationships with relevant regulators at the NY DFS, SEC, CFTC, and other relevant agencies
- Familiarity with cryptocurrency space
- Experience building and managing a team of legal professionals
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive base salaries across all departments
- Ownership in the company via profit sharing units
- Amazing benefits, 401k match contribution, and flexible hours
- Snacks, Perks, Wellness Outings & Events
Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.