Director, Government Affairs at Justworks
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Do you want to work for a fast-growing, private, HR tech company? How would you like to be Justworks’ first Director, Government Affairs and play a leading role in shaping its government affairs strategy and building the function?
You’ll be an integral member of the legal team and report directly to the General Counsel. You will help Justworks stay ahead of changes of laws and regulations that impact our business, and work closely with and collaborate with the Justworks leadership team and other internal stakeholders.
- Develop and execute Justworks’ government affairs strategy and function, including building and resourcing a team
- Run point on matters of significant regulatory importance to the business, including significant business operational plans and emerging problems
- Develop protocols for and manage communication to internal stakeholders regarding changes in laws, regulator priorities, interests, political dynamics, and other ground-level intelligence that could affect Justworks’ business
- Develop legislative and regulatory advocacy strategy for Justworks’ public policy priorities at the state and federal levels
- Collaborate with NAPEO, the PEO industry trade association, and other advocacy groups related to areas of importance to the business
- Partner closely with Justworks’ Legal, Operations, Product Engineering, Customer Success, and Communications teams to report anticipated problems and business changes, and escalate issues within regulatory bodies
- Work with Communications team to ensure press, social media, and other external messaging is consistent with regulator communications
- Develop/manage budget for function
- Other duties as needed based on department and/or organizational needs
As a Director, Government Affairs, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following:
- Detail-oriented - exercises extreme attention to detail; is thorough, accurate, organized, and productive and seeks to understand both the cause and effect of a situation.
- Ethical practice - the ability to integrate core values, integrity and accountability throughout all organizational and business practices.
- Clear communication - the ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
- Analytical - uses a logical reasoning process to break down and work through a situation or problem to arrive at an outcome.
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- JD degree from an accredited law school
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in government affairs, PEO industry role and/or working for an insurance regulator
- You have established Washington, D.C. contacts
- State-level experience a plus
- Highly organized, detail oriented, dependable team player, who thrives in high growth and fast-paced environments
- Ability to manage competing demands, shifting priorities, and the interests of multiple stakeholders
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proactive and collaborative, with a deep sense of personal accountability, ownership, and pride in your work
- Desire to work in a dynamic and exciting space in lower Manhattan, with all the expected perks of a tech startup
- Public company experience a plus
- This is a remote position but will require visits to our headquarters in New York City approximately once every three weeks when the pandemic passes and effective safety measures are in place
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment