Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
The Director of Legal Operations will be the founding member of the Legal Operations team at Cockroach Labs and play a large role in shaping the Legal team. You will build the very infrastructure that the Legal team will grow on for years to come. You will lead efforts to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the Legal team by project managing key cross-functional legal initiatives, optimizing and automating workflows, managing various legal programs, maintaining our corporate entities, and negotiating and amending customer contracts. You will work very closely with the General Counsel and develop trusted relationships with various leaders at Cockroach Labs. The Director of Legal Operations will be on the ground floor of a newly formed function at a high growth startup and will have significant opportunities for growth.
- Manage key legal projects across the legal team and collaborate with cross-functional team members at all levels to ensure deadlines are met.
- Drive legal functional planning and the implementation of an OKR framework, including developing quarterly and annual objectives and tracking progress against them.
- Build engagement processes and documentation to make it easier and more efficient for other teams to get legal advice and support.
- Create and maintain information management processes, including for contract templates, corporate record-keeping, tracking projects, and legal advice.
- Assist the Legal and People teams in managing and granting employee equity and general cap table management.
- Work with attorneys to build best-in-class playbooks that drive efficiencies, including for international expansions, RFP/RFI responses, and vendor and commercial contracting.
- Review, negotiate and summarize contracts and NDAs with attorney support.
- Develop and enforce processes and policies to track and manage outside counsel usage and expenditures.
- Identify operational gaps or opportunities for the Legal team to be more efficient or effective and implement new technologies and systems to solve those problems.
- Provide other operational support to the Legal team, as needed.
In your first 30 days, you will develop a strong understanding of our current processes and organizational structure. You will meet with stakeholders across the organization to better understand how the Legal team works with other functions. You will develop relationships with other operational leaders at Cockroach Labs and understanding of their plans, in particular as they relate to the Legal function. You will review and provide feedback on the current Legal team plan for this year. You will start to identify areas for improvement in the Legal team’s operations and processes and make recommendations on how to improve these processes.
In your first 60 days, you will have a good understanding of how Cockroach Labs operates and continue to identify opportunities to improve the operations of the Legal team. You will start implementing new processes to address more immediate needs of the Legal team, including creating an improved organizational system for legal documents and forms, tracking outside counsel spend, and building out legal wiki pages on the Cockroach intranet.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team and have created a roadmap of legal ops projects. You will start implementing, alongside the General Counsel and Associate General Counsel, new systems and processes for Legal workflows such as but not limited to: centralized contract review system; management of employee equity; triaging of requests made to the Legal team by the rest of the organization; and managing the library of template contracts and forms.
- 8+ years of operations and project management experience
- 5+ years working in the legal field. Prior experience working with growth-stage organizations or units within corporations is a plus.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and passion for technology and team building
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Proven track record of delivering improvements that enhance operations and team performance
- A proactive attitude towards identifying needs, anticipating issues and generating solutions
- Experience working with cross-functional and globally distributed teams
- A bachelor’s degree preferred or commensurate experience and training
Reporting to Dan Hegwood - General Counsel
Dan has always been passionate about technology and is dedicated to building legal teams that empower and amplify inventive businesses and products rather than constrain it. At Cockroach Labs, Dan is dedicated to building a Legal function that achieves these goals. Dan has experience building legal teams in high growth tech environments and has a strong understanding of privacy and big data issues. Dan believes strongly in the unique value that a Legal Operations team can bring and is committed to building a best-in-class operations function here at Cockroach Labs. Dan enjoys mentoring members of his team and is proud of the incredible roles many of them have moved on to at other tech companies. In his spare time, Dan loves spending quality time with his young kids, traveling, cooking and doing anything outdoors in nature.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]