Director of Legal - Product and Commercial Counsel
Stash is a digital-first financial services company committed to making saving and investing accessible to everyone. By breaking down barriers and building transparent, technology-driven products, we help the 99% build smarter financial habits so they can confidently save more, grow wealth, and enjoy life.
Stash is seeking an experienced and innovative Product and Commercial Counsel to join our Legal team of three. We’re looking for a business-minded and highly-motivated attorney with at least eight years of experience, who, above all else, is a team player. Your advice, attention to detail, and creativity will help shape the legal, commercial, and business strategy for one of the fastest-growing fintech companies in the country.What you'll do:
- Provide business-oriented and practical legal advice primarily to our Bank, Business Development, Strategy, and New Markets teams, as well as our Product teams focusing on the marketing and integration of third-party products
- Negotiate, draft and provide advice on complex commercial agreements
- Serve as the primary legal adviser for third-party partnerships, from RFPs through product integration and implementation
- Support the Bank Product team on legal and regulatory issues around new banking products and enhancements to our current banking products, including working with our third party banking partner
- Identify and advise on new and changing laws and regulations that affect operations, new product development, and compliance obligations
- Interface with outside law firms and advisors
- Complete special projects as needed and other duties assigned
- JD and licensed to practice in New York, or the ability to apply for New York's in-house counsel exemption
- Minimum 8 years of experience, with experience at an in-house legal department, preferably working on the legal aspects of product development in the financial services and/or technology spaces
- Experience in consumer financial services (both federal and state law), specifically at an investment adviser, broker-dealer and/or banking institution
- Experience reviewing, negotiating, and drafting complex commercial contracts and other legal documents
- A team player who is willing to assist at any level of legal work that is needed to be done
- Ability to manage competing projects autonomously with minimal oversight
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to convey complex legal advice to business people
- Experience with, and an understanding of, laws and regulations relating to registered investment advisers and broker-dealers (e.g., Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and FINRA rules)
- Understanding of federal securities laws (e.g., Securities Act of 1933), including registered and exempt offerings
- Understanding of privacy, cybersecurity and data protection laws and regulations (e.g., Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act, California Consumer Privacy Act, and state data breach notification laws)
We believe that diversity and inclusion are essential to living our values, promoting innovation, and building the best products out there. Our success is directly related to the employees that we hire, grow and retain and we believe that our team should reflect the diversity of the customers that we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Stash is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by law. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
Benefits & Perks:
- Equity in Stash
- Flexible Vacation
- Family-Friendly Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Learning & Development Stipend
- Commuter Benefits and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee referral bonuses
- Stocked fridges & kitchens and catered lunch on Fridays
- Thursday happy hours
- Team outings that do not involve trust falls...
Awards & Recognition:
- Forbes Fintech 50 (2019)
- LendIt Fintech Innovator of the Year (2019)
- Built in NYC's Best Places to work (2020)
- Built in NYC's Best Places to work (2019)
- Built in NYC's Best Places to work (2018)
- Wall Street Journal's "Top 25 Tech Companies To Watch" (2018)
- MarCom Awards Double Gold & Platinum Winner (2018)
**No recruiters, please.