SmartAsset is an award-winning financial technology company pursuing the singular mission of empowering people to make smart financial decisions. Recently named one of Y Combinator's Top 100 companies of all time, we have raised more than $50 million in venture capital. Our personal finance tools, calculators and content reach more than 45 million people each month.
We’ve been featured in hundreds of publications including The Wall Street Journal, CNN, Mashable, TechCrunch, The New York Times, The Washington Post, US News & World Report, TIME, Reuters, Businessweek, Barron’s and many more.
The Director of Legal will lead all internal legal efforts and manage all areas related to regulatory compliance while contributing to ongoing improvements and professionalization as the function scales. Reporting to the VP of Finance & Operations, this position works closely with our team leads, CEO and external legal firm. You will join a hard-working and supportive team that will ensure you have everything you need to get settled in and up to speed quickly. SmartAsset was recently named by Forbes as #32 on the 2020 “America's Best Startup Employers”
- Ensure that all Vendor Contracts, Customer Contracts, Leases, Employment Agreements, Corporate Documents are reviewed and upkeep on an ongoing basis.
- Manage and facilitate all compliance activities for an accurate and timely reporting of all ongoing, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting obligations.
- Provide support on executive-level legal analysis to keep the leadership team informed on an ongoing basis of legal risks and mitigation activities.
- Work with VP of Finance to support C-suite and the leadership team on the production of legal and regulatory recommendations
- Proactively identify areas for potential improvements and collaborate with stakeholders on planning and execution
- Support the procurement and implementation of technologies to automate manual tasks and processes
Required Skills and Experience:
- J.D degree from an accredited law school Licensed to practice law in New York, or another U.S. state
- 6+ years of general or corporate legal background
- Strong background meeting regular input review timelines, reporting deadlines and communication of material initial findings
- Excellent project management skills and ability to work cross-department in a fast-paced team
- Strong communication skills and a proactive attitude towards building relationships
- Catered lunch three times per week
- Casual dress code
- Weekly happy hours
- Regular team social activities such as a company book club, sports leagues, community service opportunities and more
- Benefits package including medical, dental and 401(k)
- Professional education reimbursement program