Director, Privacy Law and Policy
Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. We are currently designing a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto's waterfront in partnership with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
Before applying to a position at Sidewalk Labs, we strongly recommend you examine our Mission and Values.
Why this role?
Innovative digital tools present a big opportunity, but also raise important questions about data and privacy; especially when operating in the public realm. Sidewalk Labs takes these issues seriously, and we have recently put forward a comprehensive proposal for innovative, independent governance by a “Civic Data Trust” of information collected from the urban environment.
These issues are complicated. They are hotly debated yet often not well understood. We are looking for someone to help us set a new standard for responsible data use that protects personal privacy and the public interest while enabling companies, researchers, innovators, governments, and civic organizations to use data in service of improving urban life.
What is the role?
We are looking for a skilled expert, working with us to develop and advance our privacy and data governance policies and practices. You will work side-by-side with our General Counsel, as well as the policy, development, business, product and innovation teams to help them make their groundbreaking work become reality in ways that respect fundamental privacy rights and enable precedent-setting data governance in connection with innovative urban development.
- Develop thoughtful and innovative strategies for privacy and data governance, based on deep understanding the ethical, regulatory, commercial and technical realities of Urban Data and supporting Sidewalk’s approach to urban innovation.
- Work with our stakeholders, advisors and teams to develop comprehensive public policy positions on issues related to data governance and privacy.
- Represent Sidewalk in public settings, work with stakeholders and policymakers, and provide thought leadership that advances the public discourse on privacy and data governance. Assist with crafting and implementing an advocacy strategy.
- Think outside the box. We are trying to come up with new and better paradigms in every aspect of our work, and privacy and data governance is no exception.
We believe the right individual would...
- Have the expertise and creativity to create balanced yet useful approaches to privacy and data governance of Urban Data.
- Have skill and experience to lead a complex, public discourse (e.g. with experience in a public-facing role).
- Be adept at explaining relevant issues and our positions in a clear, concise and persuasive manner.
- Be comfortable with debate and criticism. You will be at the center of debates, both internally and publicly, about these complicated and often controversial issues. The right candidate will embrace that aspect of the role.
- Have a deep understanding of relevant legislation and regulatory regimes in North America, and around the world (e.g. GDPR).
- Understand the technical and business considerations of data usage in the 21st century (including having conducted substantive policy, legal and/or business work in leading-edge private technology sector, government, or academia).
We believe this role presents a unique opportunity to take the discourse on data and privacy to the next level, balancing public and private interests in powerful way and through that shape a model with precedent-setting relevance. If this opportunity speaks to you, we would love to start a conversation.
You can read more on our recent proposals on Data Governance here: https://medium.com/sidewalk-talk/an-update-on-data-governance-for-sidewalk-toronto-d810245f10f7
We are very excited to hear from you!
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment is based on merit and business needs.