We're looking for an Employment Counsel to help us accomplish our mission to improve lives by learning from the experience of every cancer patient. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
In this role, you'll work with the Legal Team to provide legal support for Flatiron’s employment needs and serve as a key internal point of contact and subject matter expert on all matters relating to employment and/or employee benefits law. Reporting to the General Counsel, you'll partner with Legal, People Operations and our Leadership team to implement employment-related policies and procedures. In addition, you'll also:
- Prepare legal documents, including separation agreements, policies, incentive plans, legal memos, responses to charges of discrimination, and employment agreements
- Provide counsel to human resources business partners and managers on employment matters, including employee relations, recruiting and hiring, harassment and discrimination, policies, leaves of absence, disability accommodations, government audits, reductions in force, wage and hour matters, immigration matters and non-competition agreements
- Provide legal advice on the design, development, implementation and oversight of benefit plans, including health and welfare, equity, retirement, deferred compensation and leaves of absence plans
- Provide legal advice and represent Flatiron in employment and benefits compliance, enforcement and litigation matters
- Proactively monitor and advise clients on labor and employment laws and advise on potential implications to current or future strategies and operations to enable ongoing compliance
- Develop and collaborate on training to educate internal clients, partners, and stakeholders on legal development and requirements that could affect policies, procedures and practices
- Coordinates employment/benefits due diligence activities and provides legal support for various transactions
Who You Are
You're a strategic self-starter with 7+ years of significant experience practicing employment/benefits law. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You posses strong counseling and advising skills, a broad knowledge of federal and state employment laws, ability to prepare and present training, and the ability to address legal issues proactively
- You are able to work independently in a team-oriented culture
- You have strong oral and written communication skills are essential. Candidate must be comfortable interfacing directly with executives, managers and department leaders
- You have a law degree from an accredited law school and be licensed to practice law in the US
- You have in-house experience
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You have knowledge of or experience in California employment and leave laws
- You have knowledge of or experience with employment and leave laws in EU and other countries
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.