Employment Counsel at Rent the Runway
About Rent the Runway:
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Job:
As Senior Counsel, Employment, you will be the first employment specialist on our Legal Team and have an immediate impact on key aspects of Rent the Runway’s innovative business. You will be responsible for supporting the People team and other departments on all employment matters relating to our workforce across our corporate, warehouse and customer service employee populations. You will have an influential role and opportunity to positively impact our culture and employee experience.
You will report to the General Counsel. In light of COVID-19, you will work remotely until Rent the Runway’s NYC headquarters reopens. You will be expected to visit RTR’s facilities and other offices periodically; however, due to COVID-19, travel is subject to safety considerations and company policies.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as the lead attorney and strategic advisor for all employment matters across the business, including diversity & inclusion, recruitment, employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence and accommodations, severance programs, labor matters, wage and hour issues, internal investigations, unemployment and worker’s compensation, compensation and benefits, and immigration.
- Provide pragmatic day-to-day employment advice and counseling to support business needs and appropriately balance legal risk.
- In partnership with the People team, develop and maintain effective HR policies, procedures and other documentation, including drafting, implementing, and maintaining template documents and ensuring clear and effective procedures for all employment matters (e.g., performance improvement plans, investigation procedures, employee handbook).
- Advise on and advance our diversity & inclusion strategy and initiatives.
- Negotiate and draft employment-related contracts (e.g., talent and employment agreements, separation agreements, recruiter agreements, employee management platforms).
- Provide effective and engaging training on employment law topics.
- Oversee employment-related disputes, investigations and litigation.
- Monitor relevant employment law developments and keep the team up-to-date.
- Manage outside counsel on employment matters.
You Should Have:
- JD and New York state bar membership or registered in-house attorney status in New York.
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience with all aspects of employment law, including wage and hour and FLSA exemption issues, OSHA, labor matters, matters relating to discrimination, harassment and retaliation, workplace investigations and documentation, disability, FMLA, restrictive covenants and whistleblower protections.
- Experience advising on employment matters across a large and diverse employee population.
- Experience with employment law in non-US jurisdictions (particularly Ireland) is a plus.
- Litigation experience is a plus.
- Experience with executive compensation is a plus.
- Experience working in a fast-paced and disruptive business.
- A practical, business-oriented approach and ability to translate legal issues into clear, “plain English” guidance for non-lawyers.
- Must be a team player who will roll up their sleeves and take on additional responsibilities, while also being able to work independently and think strategically.
- Flexibility necessary to thrive at an ambitious, dynamic growth company, including strong business judgment and an ability to calibrate for when we need a quick response versus a deep dive to get something precisely right..
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization in a fast-paced environment while building strong internal relationships and influence across departments.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple critical projects, working independently and under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to pick things up quickly, and work well in a fast-paced environment.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and well-being of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Many other amazing perks!