Employment Counsel at Squarespace
Squarespace is looking for an experienced employment attorney to join our Legal team. As a key part of our team, you will assist in supporting the legal needs of our People (HR) team and other internal clients across all locations and departments. Squarespace’s growing workforce includes employees in our offices in New York, Ireland and Portland and several other U.S. states, and is expanding both in the United States and globally.
You will report into our Assistant General Counsel and is based in our New York City headquarters.
At this time, all Squarespace employees are working remotely until June 2021. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 to determine if and when it is safe to return to our offices.
- Work with the People team and managers of other departments on a variety of employment matters, including employee relations, performance management, leaves of absence, accommodations, wage and hour and FLSA exemption, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, internal investigations and litigation
- Draft and maintain policies and procedures for employment matters, including the Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and performance improvement plans
- Prepare and manage all employment-related agreements, including agreements relating to offers of employment, separation and recruiting
- Advise on diversity & inclusion programs, employee resource group issues, employee privacy, employee communications and employee events
- Contribute to M&A employment and benefits matters, including diligence, offer documents and integration activities
- Oversee other areas of legal support for the People team, including immigration, legally required employee trainings and benefits (including ERISA plans)
- Efficiently leverage and manage outside employment counsel where necessary
- Provide support on a variety of non-employment topics depending candidate’s background and interest, for example, general litigation and commercial contracts
- A minimum of 6 years of employment law experience; a combination of law firm and in-house tech experience is preferred
- Experience with executive compensation matters is a plus
- Experience with sales commissions arrangements is a plus
- Experience managing and leading diverse groups of stakeholders and employment matters
- Flexibility and creativity in solving problems and dealing with ambiguity
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, and strong business judgment
- Organized and diligent with a high attention to detail and a commitment to operational execution
- Interest in learning new areas of law and business
- Admitted to and in good standing with at least one state bar
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,000 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.