Group Nine Media is seeking an Entertainment Counsel to join the Legal and Business Affairs Team at Group Nine. This person will work on all legal and business affairs matters for the company, with a strong focus on entertainment production and development work to support Group Nine's programming efforts.
- Lead legal support for scripted and unscripted programming across linear and digital platforms.Manage relationships with external production and development support including outside
production counsel, rights and clearance consultants, and third-party production services
- Address and advise on all legal matters for the company both proactively and as directed. Areas
of coverage include inbound and outbound commercial contracts, linear and digital
programming production and development, regulatory and policy compliance, M&A
transactions, labor and employment issues, corporate governance, employee equity incentive
program, commercial real estate transactions, disputes and litigation, and development of legal
- Lead complex transactions from start to finish with minimal supervision. This involves evaluating
business development opportunities, meeting with internal stakeholders, and simultaneously
balancing a number of legal and business issues.
- Manage administration and resolution of legal issues that arise in existing commercial
- Help maintain Legal and Business Affairs Team infrastructure, company records, and internal
- Stay up-to-date and keep key business partners informed about changes to existing policies,
laws, and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- JD degree and admission to one or more state Bars (must be in good standing, and if notadmitted in New York, must be willing to register as in-house counsel in New York).
- Must have at least 4-6 years of experience working on scripted and unscripted programming
production and development; in-house experience at a digital media company preferred.
- Experience and confidence independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Basic understanding of the wide variety of transactions and legal issues that arise at a digital
media company, including content production and distribution deals, online advertising
compliance, data management and security, commercial real estate transactions, and personnel
- Strong sense of urgency and people management skills.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and understanding of relevant technology, including
various digital distribution channels, content development systems, and advertising platforms.
- Strong interest in the business and desire to work within a multidisciplinary team.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views and reaching 80% of U.S. adults in their 20s. As the no. 1 most engaging publisher on the social web, Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where their millennial-focused audience spends the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched video news creator on social), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and innovation).
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.