Head of Litigation
As the Head of Litigation you work on exciting legal matters as technological innovations in real estate require more unique and proactive legal guidance. You are part of a smart group of in-house lawyers and the projects you work on challenge you to think quickly, creatively and constructively. You will be primarily responsible for leading commercial litigation matters as well as a wide variety of dispute-resolution projects. You will manage multiple aspects of litigation, jointly developing case strategy, counseling the business on active and threatened claims, and working in close partnership with colleagues in the Legal Department as well as our business teams to achieve desired results through optimal dispute-resolution and litigation strategies.
The Compass business environment is dynamic and will require that you adapt quickly, anticipating and counseling our businesses regarding existing disputes and collaborating with our business teams to prevent future ones. Your contributions will be impactful, value-driven and you will play an instrumental role in the Compass Legal Department.
What You’ll Do:
- Leading simple and complex litigation matters from inception to completion
- Developing an end-to-end dispute resolution and mitigation platform involving independent contractor real estate agents
- Supervising outside counsel to decrease spend and achieve desired results
- Delivering strategic advice with respect to complex dispute matters to senior leaders
- Analyzing judicial and legislative developments and structuring and implementing strategies and policies/procedures to mitigate legal risk
- Managing litigation budgets and associated forecasting and reporting requirements
What We’re Looking For:
- JD with New York Bar preferred
- 7+ combined years of experience, primarily in commercial litigation and arbitration, with a top-tier law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Ability to independently manage caseload and other projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to provide sound, clear legal advice to senior leaders and others
- Detail-oriented, accurate and uniquely smart
- Track record of interacting with business professionals at different levels
- Experience with litigation in both state and federal courts
- Proven ability to manage other attorneys
At Compass, our mission is to help everyone find their place in the world. This means we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our mission by ensuring that our place can be anyone’s place.