Labor and Employment Counsel
Group Nine Media is currently seeking a bright, self-motivated labor and employment attorney to join the Legal and Business Affairs Team, which is responsible for handling all legal matters for the company. In this position, you will be responsible for advising on all labor and employment issues that arise at Group Nine Media, supporting the People Team and other key business stakeholders, and building scalable legal support for the company. You will be expected to act as a thought-leader for the business, providing insights and recommendations on a broad range labor and employment issues. The ideal candidate is an astute negotiator who can manage shifting priorities within a fast-paced environment, while maintaining a positive outlook. It is important that this candidate has 4-6 years of employment and labor relations experience, preferably having worked in-house at a digital media company.
- Address and advise on all labor and employment matters for the company both proactively and as directed.
- Oversee labor relations and collective bargaining agreement negotiation strategy with the VP, Legal and Business Affairs and represent the company in collective bargaining sessions.
- Manage outside counsel in supporting collective bargaining agreement negotiations and labor relations issues.
- Provide labor and employment-related advice and counsel to company human resource professional, senior management and internal business partners. This includes conducting legal research, providing verbal and written legal advice, evaluating risk and making legal determinations, and preparing documents.
- Draft and advise on labor and employment-related documents, including employee offer letters and separation agreements.
- Assist the VP, Legal and Business Affairs in managing the company’s employee equity plan.
- Manage administration and resolution of legal issues that arise in existing commercial relationships.
- Help maintain Legal and Business Affairs Team infrastructure, company records, and internal systems.
- Stay up-to-date and keep key business partners informed about changes to existing policies, laws, and regulations. Identify and develop appropriate compliance and regulatory strategies to ensure company-wide compliance with applicable federal, state and local employment laws, (e.g. wage and hour, OFCCP, EEO).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- JD degree and admission to one or more state Bars (must be in good standing, and if not admitted in New York, must be willing to register as in-house counsel in New York).
- Must have at least 4-6 years of employment and labor relations experience; in-house experience at a digital media company preferred.
- Experience and confidence independently drafting and negotiating a variety of agreements.
- Strong sense of urgency and people management skills.
- Excellent organization, prioritization, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, commitment to quality, and passion for results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, and understanding of relevant technology, including various digital distribution channels, content development systems, and advertising platforms.
- Strong interest in the business and desire to work within a multidisciplinary team.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views and reaching 80% of U.S. adults in their 20s. As the no. 1 most engaging publisher on the social web, Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where their millennial-focused audience spends the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched video news creator on social), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and innovation).
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.