Legal Counsel - Technology at Haven Life
Haven Life is an insurtech innovator, backed and wholly owned by MassMutual that creatively uses technology to advance the life insurance industry and better serve the modern customer.
We combine the culture of a startup with the stability and backing of a Fortune 500 company to create an environment that's truly unique.
Our diverse team is comprised of smart, collaborative people who think big, execute quickly and don't take themselves too seriously. We're located in New York's Flatiron District and in case you're wondering, yes, we provide free snacks. Cold brew too.
If you're creative, professional and kind, we'd love to hear from you.
ABOUT THE POSITION
With roughly 300 employees, our company is still young but it is growing fast as we continue to search for the right candidates to help us achieve our mission which is to make life insurance simple, convenient, and online.
We are seeking a dynamic attorney with a general understanding of the technology space who is comfortable working in a variety of legal disciplines, including insurance, privacy, intellectual property, and e-commerce. In this role, you will work with the Head of Legal to help advise and support this growing team on a broad range of issues affecting our strategy and products.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Review, negotiate and draft a wide variety of commercial agreements, including vendor, master services, software license and maintenance agreements, reseller agreements, information technology, software and application development, and non-disclosure agreements
- Advise on legal issues related to IT transactions, including issues relating to cloud computing, data privacy and cybersecurity
- Oversee intellectual property portfolio of trademarks and patents and work with outside counsel in connection with the filing of appropriate trademark and patent registrations
- A minimum of 8+ years experience as counsel focusing on outsourcing, complex technology transactions, including software licensing agreements
- Experience with intellectual property, data privacy and/or data security matters is also desirable.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and currently licensed to practice law in New York
NICE TO HAVES
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to perform well under pressure while performing multiple tasks for a diverse client base
- Excellent oral and written communication skills - ability to explain complex legal concepts to staff at all levels of the company, build consensus and achieve strong client satisfaction
- Excellent work ethic, business judgment, follow-through skills and ability to prioritize
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to learn other areas of law and technology
- A creative thinker with business savvy and who is amenable to working on a team with an entrepreneurial mindset and approach
- A positive, energetic, collaborative, and team-oriented approach to working with colleagues and clients
We have a stellar team of co-workers, a really cool office, and lots of fun activities. Oh yeah, and we pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
The privacy of your personal information is important to us, click here to review our privacy notice.