Legal Counsel at Haven Life
Haven Life is an insurtech innovator at MassMutual that offers a new way to get life insurance online that's actually simple.
We combine the culture of a startup with the stability and backing of a Fortune 500 company to create an environment that's truly unique.
Our diverse team is comprised of smart, collaborative people who think big, execute quickly and don't take themselves too seriously. We're located in New York's Flatiron District and in case you're wondering, yes, we provide free snacks. Cold brew too.
If you're creative, professional and kind, we'd love to hear from you.
ABOUT THE POSITION
With roughly 225 employees, our company is still young but it is growing fast as we continue to search for the right candidates to help us achieve our mission which is to make life insurance simple, convenient, and online.
We are seeking a dynamic attorney with a general understanding of the financial technology space who is comfortable working in a variety of legal disciplines, including insurance, privacy, intellectual property, e-commerce, and corporate law. In this role, you will work with the Head of Legal to help advise and support this growing team on a broad range of issues affecting our strategy and products. Responsibilities include:
- Conduct or coordinate research into legal questions and issues that are brought up by the business as we seek to solve problems in new ways
- Draft, negotiate, and interpret contracts across the wide array of work that we are doing, whether licensing related, partnerships, or technology agreements
- Advise on regulatory matters related to product filings, distribution, marketing and advertising and other insurance law related matters
- Assist with other technology issues involving e-commerce, including online and mobile sales, marketing, and customer self-service tools; social media; big data; and privacy/data security
- A minimum of 5 years experience as counsel, preferably in the life insurance or financial services industries
- 3+ years’ experience negotiating contracts with software vendors, distribution partners, and other service providers, and advising on legal issues relating to e-commerce and privacy
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and licensed to practice law in New York
- The ability to operate in a fast-paced, innovative startup environment, while navigating a complex insurance regulatory landscape
- Strong communicator, with both individuals and groups
- Intellectual curiosity and desire to learn other areas of law and technology
- A creative thinker with business savvy and who is amenable to working on a team with an entrepreneurial mindset and approach
We have a stellar team of co-workers, a really cool office, and lots of fun activities. Oh yeah, and we pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
The privacy of your personal information is important to us, click here to review our privacy notice.