Legal Counsel at Betterment
Thank you for your interest in joining the team at Betterment! We are all finding ourselves in an uncertain environment given the ongoing developments with Coronavirus (COVID-19). As you know, Betterment’s mission is to empower people to make the most of their money so they can live better, and we maintain that steadfast commitment regardless of market conditions.
We are hiring slowly but thoughtfully at this time. We will be reviewing all applications for each open role on a weekly basis through June, 2020. Given this shift in hiring pace, you may not hear back from us for a few weeks. If your application seems like a good fit for this position, we will contact you in order to schedule a phone interview.About the right team member:
You are an outstanding attorney looking to join a groundbreaking startup that is making investing and cash management smarter, easier, and more accessible for everyone. You are a problem solver with excellent legal judgment and outstanding attention to detail. You are mission-driven, business-oriented, independent, and quick to learn. You can communicate clearly and persuasively to a wide variety of audiences. You can thrive in a dynamic, technology-driven environment and are comfortable taking action in the face of ambiguity. You are eager to make an impact and are always seeking new and improved ways of doing things.At Betterment you will get to:
- Work closely with product, engineering, and our lines of business to navigate regulatory requirements, operational issues, and related matters
- Engage with FINRA, the SEC, and other regulatory bodies
- Assist with the development of new lines of business and products, including drafting customer agreements, disclosures, and related documentation
- Help to resolve and--critically--avoid potential disputes
- Analyze and provide guidance to the company on evolving rules, regulations, and trends impacting the financial services industry
- Negotiate complex commercial agreements
- Collaborate with outside counsel when necessary
- A JD, admission to a state bar, and at least 3 years of relevant in-house or firm experience
- An adaptable mindset and innate curiosity
- A bias toward action and solving problems, not just issue spotting
- The ability to take ownership over your work and manage projects independently
- Excellent writing ability
- Comfort navigating complexity and creating simplicity
- Passion for Betterment’s product and mission
- Experience in financial services regulation
- In-house experience at a startup or high growth company
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $22 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 480,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.