Greater NYC Area
We are looking for an energetic, detail-oriented paralegal to assist our small Legal team. Prior experience as a paralegal is a must!
We hold ourselves to a very high hiring bar. To achieve this, we think of roles first and foremost as outcomes to be achieved, not simply a description of tasks. We have developed what we call a ‘Success Profile’ for this role, which has two sections:
- Outcomes: Meaningful and measurable work products that have a significant impact on the team and business over a defined timeframe.
- How to Achieve Outcomes: We have a strong point of view on how this role will succeed in achieving outcomes at Paxos. So, we have taken the Operating System of Paxos - our values - and made it relevant to this role.
- Effectively manage corporate governance matters, including Board communications, regulatory compliance logistics and the Company’s capitalization table. Success is measured by the candidate’s ability to be a resource to the Associate General Counsel on specific rules, regulations or deadlines in order to maximize the Board’s ability to effectively govern.
- Oversee vendor management, including coordinating onboarding by stakeholders, organizing approvals, tracking periodic review cycles and ensuring compliance with our vendor management policies. Success is measured by speed and efficiency of onboarding, establishing repeatable vendor onboarding protocols that are understood and followed throughout the organization, and compliance with applicable policies.
- Effectively coordinate various firm projects across legal, compliance, business, operations and technology. Success is measured by the ability to track a project to completion, including escalating obstacles where necessary.
- Assist with reviewing basic agreements, including NDAs and vendor contracts. Success will be measured by the amount of time that senior Legal resources have to allocate to tasks or projects that do not require their level of expertise.
How to achieve the Outcomes
Technical Acumen Required:
- Experience with corporate governance processes, including cap table management
- Experience reviewing basic contracts
- Strong organizational capabilities and attention to detail
- Strong writing capabilities where deliverables are to be reviewed by regulators and auditors
- Ability to work across business units with those in engineering, operations, product, sales and compliance.
Shared Commitment to Excellence:
- A commitment to quality is paramount. Ensure that we are able to evidence compliance with corporate and regulatory obligations.
- Extremely detail oriented and obsessed with following every policy, procedure or guideline. There are many moving parts, and it is paramount that we have someone to make sure that we have coverage between the lines.
- Review, review and review again. Make sure that all documents submitted to regulators, board members, and business stakeholders are in flawless condition. This will not only reflect well on the team, but on the company.
Be an Owner:
- Own and be accountable for assigned responsibilities and be comfortable executing tasks with autonomy. Be ready to articulate, evidence and defend decisions made.
- “Manage up” to direct managers and other business or functional leads to ensure projects are successfully completed. Be vocal regarding important escalations or approvals which must be prioritized.
- Take pride in your work and assume that the most senior person will view each project that you are completing.
Real Time Candor:
- Be willing to be the ultimate “team player” and be receptive to feedback across the organization, including from your peers.
- Challenge decisions, opinions, and processes respectfully to find the “right” solution to manage, mitigate, or eliminate our risks.
- Provide real-time feedback to your colleagues in a constructive way in order to maximize efficiency and promote an environment of transparency and accountability.
Search for the Truth:
- Embrace complexity and ambiguity. We operate in a complex, regulated environment and the ability to navigate overlapping and sometimes conflicting requirements is essential.
- Understand the situations where help may be needed. Be willing to ask for help, but able to quickly learn from others to resolve similar matters in the future.
- Do not bring your own bias or needs into a problem. Try to evaluate the best path forward for the business from a legal standpoint, and vocalize the solution. If you find something wrong with current practices, pursue the root of the issue and try to do a post-mortem as to what happened in that particular situation.
Paxos is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical and mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Read Full Job Description