The Trade Desk is changing the way global brands and their agencies advertise to audiences around the world. How? With a media-buying platform that helps brands deliver a more insightful and relevant ad experience for consumers — and sets a new standard for global reach, accuracy, and transparency.
So if you’re talented, driven, creative, and hungry to bring something entirely new and wildly ambitious into the world (and have some fun doing it), then we want to talk.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
The Trade Desk is a dynamic and fast-growing company with a legal team that has tripled in size in the last year. We are looking for a Privacy Counsel, on the privacy and product counseling team, to take a prominent role in advising the business on a wide range of privacy matters and help drive The Trade Desk’s strategic approach to privacy issues around the globe.
The Privacy Counsel will work extensively with other members of the legal team and with members of the business across all functional areas to help ensure privacy compliance and risk management. This individual must be able to exercise sound, independent legal judgment in fast-paced, high-stakes circumstances, and must have a proven ability to work collaboratively with business counterparts by translating complex legal and privacy issues into practical and creative solutions.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Exercise exceptional judgement to advise The Trade Desk team and contribute to the overall success of the business.
- Structure, draft, review, and negotiate data protection terms in a variety of commercial agreements including master service agreements, DPAs, and data supplier agreements.
- Identify, research, analyze, and advise teams on a wide range of data privacy issues and risks.
- Keep abreast of evolving privacy laws that may affect the company globally.
- Work hands-on with business and product teams to support the implementation of privacy risk management and compliance.
- Continually improve our legal processes to help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Education: J.D. degree from ABA accredited law school
- Bar: Must be a member in good standing of an applicable state.
- 5+ years of legal experience working in an internationally/nationally-recognized law firm or in house legal department.
- Experience in advising clients on privacy matters and legislation, consumer protection, and global privacy laws & regulations (such as GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, and other international data protection frameworks).
- Experience with drafting and negotiating data protection terms in commercial contracts.
- Desired Traits:
- Effective communicator, with the ability to work closely with legal team colleagues, as well as business and product team members.
- Superior analytical skills with a creative and pragmatic problem-solving approach.
- Excellent legal skills, including significant experience in structuring, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating complex agreements with a focus on data privacy issues.
- Strong commitment to providing responsible, timely, and top-quality client service with superior work product.
- Ability to thrive in fast paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (sense of humor is a big plus).
- Background in advertising and/or digital media is preferred; international experience a plus.
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.