Privacy Counsel at Dataminr (Remote)
--COVID-19 Hiring Update--
As the health and safety of our candidates and our employees come first, we're excited to provide virtual experiences for interviews and new hire on-boarding.
Who we are:
Dataminr puts real-time AI and public data to work for our clients, generating relevant and actionable alerts for global corporations, public sector agencies, newsrooms, and NGOs. Our leading AI platform detects the earliest signals of high-impact events and emerging risks from vast amounts of publicly available information. Our real-time alerts enable tens of thousands of users at hundreds of public and private sector organizations to learn first of breaking events around the world, develop effective risk mitigation strategies, and respond with confidence as crises unfold.
Dataminr is making its mark for growth and innovation, recently earning recognition on the Deloitte Technology Fast 500, Forbes AI 50 and Forbes Cloud 100 lists. We also earned accolades for ‘Most Innovative Use of AI’ from the 2020 AI & Machine Learning Awards.
Join our team and help the world manage risk in real time. You’ll work with 800+ talented people across eight offices, united by our passion to collaborate, make a difference, and have fun while doing it!
Who you are:
Dataminr is looking for a business-oriented Privacy Counsel to join its legal team to focus on global privacy laws and compliance. You will be the first legal hire to focus exclusively on privacy matters. As such, you will lead Dataminr’s compliance efforts with GDPR and global privacy laws, including providing advice and counsel to senior leadership. You will also serve as the attorney principally charged with supporting information technology and information security initiatives. You will play a key role in Dataminr’s legal team, working with cross-functional groups across the company globally. You will also counsel on privacy and security issues related to Dataminr’s use of vendors, marketing and sales activities, and employee matters. As Privacy Counsel you will report directly to the General Counsel.
- Provide pragmatic advice on the implementation and impact of global privacy laws to various business teams
- Drive compliance strategies for GDPR and global data privacy and personal information collection rules, regulations and standards
- Provide leadership and support on a wide variety of privacy matters as needed such as DPAs, international data transfers, marketing-related privacy issues, data breaches, etc.
- Work with customers, prospective customers, and partners on privacy-related questions about using Dataminr services
- Conduct privacy assessments of business initiatives, manage privacy compliance documentation, and support compliance certifications
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Must have substantive knowledge and demonstrated expertise in global data protection laws, including relevant laws in the US, EU and UK
- Must have prior experience creating and managing compliance processes, and experience collaborating across the organization on the development of compliance-focused processes and policies, specifically those related to privacy, and experience counseling sales, marketing, and security teams regarding the same
- Strong understanding of emerging technologies, cloud computing, SaaS infrastructure
- Flexibility and willingness to work with all levels of the organization, and to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change and solving problems
- Flexibility and understanding of the culture of a fast-paced, commercially oriented technology company
- Excellent written/verbal communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude, and the ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- At least 5-8 years’ experience, with significant relevant privacy and data protection law experience at a law firm and in-house, preferably in the tech / digital space
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited U.S. law school, and a license to practice law in at least one U.S. jurisdiction
Why you should work here:
- We recognize and reward hard work with:
- company paid benefits for employees and their dependents, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance
- 401(k) savings plan with company matching
- flexible spending account for out-of-pocket medical, transit, parking and dependent care expenses
- We want you to be your best, authentic self by supporting you with:
- a diverse, driven, and passionate team of coworkers who want you to succeed
- individual learning and development fund and professional training
- generous paid time off; including sick leave and 100% company paid parental leave
- remote working friendly perks such as expanded tele-health options for mental and physical well being, virtual yoga, meditation and health and fitness app reimbursements
…and this is just to name a few!
Dataminr is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Individuals seeking employment at Dataminr are considered without regards to race, sex, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or veteran status.
For individuals applying for US-based roles:
Dataminr is requiring that all prospective employees hired for this position present proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Dataminr is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely held religious belief, medical reasons, or other legally protected reasons, should contact their recruiting representative as soon as possible following any conditional offer of employment to explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Dataminr is able to offer.
For individuals applying for Australian-based roles:
Dataminr requires (as a condition of employment) that the successful candidate for this position be fully vaccinated with a recognized and approved COVID-19 vaccine prior to commencing employment. The successful candidate will be required to present proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day of employment.
Candidates who are unable to be vaccinated due to a legally protected reason should contact their recruiting representative as soon as possible following any offer of employment to explore what, if any, reasonable accommodations Dataminr is able to offer.