Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell,
The Department: Legal
The Legal department at Gemini is making history every day, as we creatively apply the legacy of law to the future of digital assets. On this team, you will tackle complex and unprecedented applications of the current legal system to the revolutionary industry of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. At Gemini, Legal plays a critical role in guiding innovation and driving value for the business, while upholding our core tenets of security, compliance, and trust for our customers. Join us and help define the Legal Department of the Future.
The Role: Privacy Counsel
As Privacy Counsel at Gemini, you are the ultimate subject matter expert and will lead global initiatives and discrete projects with respect to privacy, data protection, and information security. Leveraging both breadth and depth of experience at a law firm and/or as in-house counsel, you will help Gemini build out a nimble and scalable privacy program that complies with the ever-shifting legal requirements that confront a disruptive emerging asset class. You will partner extensively with Legal colleagues, as well as cross-functionally with the Business Development, Marketing, People, Procurement, Product, Security, and Technology teams, both in the United States and around the world.
- Scale and support the Gemini group’s existing global privacy program, including required documentation and disclosures, internal policies and employee training, incident response, and program monitoring and auditing.
- Collaborate with Product, Security, and Technology teams to perform data protection impact assessments, incorporate privacy by design and default into the development and launch of new products and services, and identify, evaluate, and mitigate potential privacy and security risks.
- Provide practical privacy and data security expertise to the Legal team and cross-functional partners, including subject-matter support for commercial contracting, supplier due diligence, and recruiting work flows.
- Coordinate responses to privacy- and data protection-related investigations and information requests.
- Manage projects effectively and collaboratively.
- Stay abreast of evolving privacy regulatory landscape and conduct emerging market research.
- Build positive and influential relationships with Gemini Leadership and cross-functional teams, evangelizing the Legal team’s expertise and services across the company.
- Collaborate with and support the Chief Legal Officer and the rest of the Legal team to evaluate and communicate legal risks to internal stakeholders and external parties.
- JD degree
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience at a law firm or in-house
- Strong working knowledge of privacy and data protection regulation in the United States and Europe
- Fluency in English
- CIPP certification.
- Strong knowledge of and interest in disruptive technology, financial services, or security; prior experience working in fintech, digital assets or high-growth tech companies a plus.
- Proven ability to proactively, efficiently, and accurately assess legal business risks in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of creative problem-solving, excellent written and oral communication skills, and creation of strong and trusted cross-functional relationships.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.